ExploreNorth, your resource center for exploring the circumpolar North

Return to the Home Page The ExploreNorth Blog About ExploreNorth Contact ExploreNorth

Search ExploreNorth







































































































































Naval Air Station Kodiak, Alaska, in 1949-50



FASRON 114 log - NAS Kodiak, Alaska     Except for the first one, the 78 photos below are from an album of 215 photos that I bought on eBay in about 2001. They were shot or collected by an unknown serviceman who was a member of the United States Navy's FASRON 114 Fleet Aircraft Service Squadron at Naval Air Station Kodiak in 1949-1950.

    NAS Kodiak, built between September 1939 and 1944 as the main forward operating base for the defense of Alaska, was commissioned on June 15, 1941. The facilities during WWII included an airfield with several hangars, a seaplane base for a fleet of Consolidated PBY Catalinas, and a submarine base. NAS Kodiak was defended during the war by Army bases Fort Greely and Fort Abercrombie. On April 17, 1947 the Coast Guard Air Station was commissioned as an Air Detachment at the navy base with 1 PBY Catalina aircraft, 7 pilots, and 30 crewmen.

    The huge Kodiak Military History Museum Web site at Kadiak.org has much more information, and hundreds of photos.

    None of the photos in this collection were captioned, and this page can be considered to be a work in progress. Information is being gathered from many sources, including comments from readers. Any information about any of the images will be gratefully received - email me at yukonalaska @ gmail.com (remove spaces, of course).



NAS Kodiak in 1949-50
An aerial view of the Coast Guard's Kodiak Island Air Station, shot by U.S. Coast Guard, SPC Jeff Parks on January 1, 1989.


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50
The FASRON 114 hangar.


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50

Above and below, Grumman JRF-5 Goose serial number B-79, USN registration BU37826. It was sold to the French Navy in July 1951, and written off following an accident at Phnom-Penh, Cambodia, on March 6, 1954.

NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50

Above and below, Star of the Sea Chapel.

NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


NAS Kodiak in 1949-50


Anchorage, Alaska, in 1949-50
Anchorage


Anchorage, Alaska, in 1949-50
Anchorage


Anchorage, Alaska, in 1949-50
Anchorage


Anchorage, Alaska, in 1949-50
The large building behind this parade in Anchorage is the Federal Building (605 West 4th Avenue). Designed in the 1930s Modern style, it is cast-in-place reinforced concrete, with a flat roof and parapet. Opened in 1940, it was the first large federal building constructed in Anchorage, providing residents with a post office, courthouse, and other federal services. Today, it houses the Alaska Public Lands Information Center, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.