The History of Chickaloon
Chickaloon is located on the Chickaloon River, on the Glenn Highway, 26 miles northeast of Palmer in the Talkeetna Mountains. It lies at approximately 61° 47' N Latitude, 148° 28' W Longitude
(Sec. 25, T020N, R005E, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Palmer Recording District. The area encompasses 47 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
The village was named for the Chickaloon River, after Chief Chiklu. It was established around 1916 in this coal-rich region as the terminus of the Matanuska Branch of the Alaska Railroad.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development