Chiniak is an Alutiiq (Russian-Aleut) name first reported in 1888 by Lt. Comdr. Tanner, USN, of the steamer Albatross. It was named "Cape Greville" in 1778 by Capt. Cook. During the mid-1950s, an Air Force White Alice Radar Tracking Station was constructed in Chiniak.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development