The History of Kasilof

Kasilof is located on the east shore of Cook Inlet on the Kenai Peninsula. It lies on the Sterling Highway, 12 miles south of the City of Kenai. It lies at approximately 60 23' N Latitude, 151 17' W Longitude (Sec. 24, T003N, R012W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kenai Recording District. The area encompasses 11 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.

Kasilof was an agricultural settlement of Kenaitze Indians, which grew around a stockade built by the Russian Kolomin of the Lebedef-Lastochkin Company. A partial excavation of the area in 1937 found 31 well-preserved houses.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development