Knik is a Tanaina Indian village name meaning "fire," which originally applied to several villages at the head of Cook Inlet. The primary village was listed as "Kinik" in the 1880 U.S. Census. Knik developed during the 1898-1916 gold rush, and in 1903, Palmer's Store was constructed. A housing development was constructed around Settler's Bay Lodge, including a golf course and stables.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development