The History of Kwigillingok
Kwigillingok is on the western shore of Kuskokwim Bay near the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. It lies 77 miles southwest of Bethel and 388 miles west of Anchorage. The village of
Kongiganak is nearby. It lies at approximately 59° 51' N Latitude, 163° 08' W Longitude (Sec. 01, T004S, R081W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel Recording
District. The area encompasses 16 sq. miles of land and 5 sq. miles of water.
The area has long been occupied by the Yup'ik Eskimos. The first record of the village was in 1927 on an Alaska map, when it was noted as "Quillingok." A Moravian Church was
established around 1920.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development