Early Russian explorers reported the presence of Levelock, which they called "Kvichak." The smallpox epidemic of 1837 killed more than half of the residents of the Bristol Bay region, and left entire villages abandoned. A measles epidemic hit the region in 1900. A 1908 survey of Russian missions identified "Lovelock's Mission" at this site. The worldwide influenza epidemic in 1918-19 again devastated area villages. Koggiung Packers operated a cannery at Levelock in 1925-26. A large fire, attributed to a cannery worker's careless cigarette, threatened the entire village in 1926, but residents dug fire lines which saved their homes. The fire depleted the scarce wood resources used to heat homes. A second cannery operated from 1928-29. In 1930 the first school was built, and a post office was established in 1939. By this time, families had converted their homes to oil heat. Moose first appeared in the area in the 1930s. During the early 1950s, another cannery was in operation.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development