The History of Lignite

Located four miles north of Healy in the Denali Borough, Lignite lies on the George Parks Highway at mile 363.3 of the Alaska Railroad. It lies at approximately 63 54' N Latitude, 149 01' W Longitude . The community is located in the Nenana Recording District. The area encompasses 58 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

Lignite is the name of a railroad station first reported in the 1922 railroad timetable. The name is derived from the lignite coal found in the area. The station was originally named "Dry Creek."


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development