Mendeltna is an Indian name first reported by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1915. Mendeltna was originally a stop on the trail used by Natives from Lake Tyone to Tazlina Lake. Gold in the creeks draining from the Chugach Mountains brought prospectors to this area in the late 1800s. The Eureka Lodge was built to serve miners, and the Nelchina area offered several trails into the mountains.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development