The History of Nunapitchuk

Nunapitchuk is located on the both banks of the Johnson River, 22 miles northwest of Bethel in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies at approximately 60 53' N Latitude, 162 29' W Longitude (Sec. 05, T009N, R074W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 8 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

It is an Eskimo village first listed in the 1939 U.S. Census with a population of 121. The community was incorporated as a second class city in 1969. During the 1970 U.S. Census, Nunapitchuk and the nearby villages of Atmautluak and Kasigluk were enumerated as "Akolmiut."


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development