The site was named in 1933 by the U.S. Forest Service for Capt. Rowan of the brig Eliza, who traded with the natives of Southeast Alaska in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The name "North Arm Bay of Pillars" was used locally prior to 1933.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development