The first Russian American Company fur trading post on the Yukon River was established here in 1837. The settlement was recorded as an Eskimo village called "Ikogmiut," meaning "people of the point," in 1842 by the Russian explorer Zagoskin. The first Russian Orthodox mission in Interior Alaska was established here in 1857 by the Russian-Aleut priest Jacob Netzuetov. The mission was called "Pokrovskaya Mission," and the village name was changed to Russian Mission in 1900. It was often confused with another village on the Kuskokwim called "Russian Mission." This village was renamed Chuathbaluk.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development