The village of Rae, on Marian Lake 7 miles off the Yellowknife Highway, is worth a visit. It has a population of about 1,500 people. In the background is the Catholic church which was built in 1926. Rae is actually the old name of the community ("Fort Rae" even older), often combined with the smaller village of Edzo as Rae-Edzo. As of 2005, however, the pair of communities is collectively called Behchoko.
This photograph is © 2011 by Murray Lundberg, and is not to be copied without express permission.