This is just one of the buildings described on the walking tour brochure, which can be picked up at the Visitor Reception Centre
or downloaded by clicking here
(Adobe Acrobat format, 1Mb).
Click the photos to enlarge them
This log cabin was built in 1907 by a Mr. Kennedy who had lived previously at Conrad, the silver mining centre on the opposite side of Montana Mountain from Carcross.
Local merchant Matthew Watson acquired the house in 1910 and used it as a rental property for many years - for a while it housed the single school teachers.
In the mid-1960s,
Anglican missionary Miss Ruth Matthews rented the cabin - although she wasn't here for very long , her activities in the community led to the cabin being named for her. In
1980, the Watson family sold the cabin to 2 Whitehorse nurses, Helen Williams and Margaret Wilson - they completely renovated the building in 1988, just before Helen died.