Highlights of History from The Whitehorse Star, 1900-1909
Highlights of History from The Whitehorse Star
Explorer's Guides to Yukon Communities
- In May 1899, Percy Fremlin Scharschmidt started printing The Bennett Sun at Bennett, B.C. In early 1900, with the White Pass & Yukon Route railway being completed to White Horse and Bennett dying, he moved his equipment to the new community and started The Northern Star, which soon became The White Horse Star. No copies of the first 24 issues are known.
- January 2, 1901: The first issue in the online archives is Vol. 1, Number 25. Rousseau and McEachen, Publishers and Proprietors.
- January 2, 1901: The Board of Trade is investigating easy means of reaching the Big Salmon over land. A winter trail is proposed by Mr. Sullivan, but the editor does not believe he can build a good wagon road 55 miles in length for $400.
- January 2, 1901: The first secret society of Whitehorse is organized: the Independent Order of Foresters. The officers are: J.P. Whitney, H.M. Lay, E.Bray, W.L.Phelps, Dr. Paree, Rev. Wright, M.L. Strickland, D. MacR Minard, C.E. Strickland, Corporal Dyre, F.X. Laftsme.
- January 2, 1901: The North Star Athletic Club elects its officers December 25, 1900 for the ensuing year: J.C. Tache, M.J. Taylor, George A. Pringle, Kate Ryan, Rev. J.C. Wright, Robert Lowe (President), J.W. Nay, C.E. Strickland, W.L. Phelps, D. MacR. Minard, A.E. Dixon, Robert McIntosh, B.J. Burde
- January 2, 1901: The Board of Trade gives a banquet in honour of John McIntyre and W.P. Grainger and their discovery of the Copper King.
- January 9, 1901: "The Canadian Development Company is doing all it can to give the people of Dawson a good mail service from the outside. The company encountered sume difficulty at the opening of the season, but has been pushing the mail along and endeavoring to get it to the people here in all reasonable time. Last year the company did not lose a sack of mail on the trail and did not intend to lose any this winter. Because of precaution against losing mail when the ice was in a dangerous condition we did not rush through hazardous places. Had we done so and been unsuccessful there would have been
- January 9, 1901: The excellent returns from Messrs Grainger's & McIntyre's properties has given a fresh impetus to copper mining in the White Horse district, and in the course of the next two or three weeks a force of men will be put to work on the Anaconda mine, which has already had sufficient development done to prove it equally rich as the Copper King.
- January 9, 1901: The White Horse Board of Trade meets every Friday night in the office of the Canadian Bank of Commerce. Information regarding White Horse and vicinity will be furnished on application to the Secretary-Treasurer. Robert Lowe, President; J. P. Whitney, 1st Vice-President; H. Chambers, 2d Vice-President.
- January 16, 1901: A new gold strike on Livingstone creek in the Big Salmon country is reported. The discoverers are the LaRose brothers.
- January 16, 1901: The photograph of the steamer Cutch as it was taken a year ago on one of her stormy voyages from the Sound, was brought to the minds of the people of
White Horse today when the train arrived from Skagway after six long days' battle in the snow, The engine was a mass of snow and ice and the entire train looked like some of the old time pictures of Santa Claus' Christmas time excursions. A dozen bewhiskered and hungry passengers came through from Skagway, and barber shops, bathrooms and restaurants did a thriving business for several hours after the train pulled into the depot.
- January 16, 1901: A good deal of speculation has been indulged in regarding the sale of lots owned by the Dominion government in White Horse, as to whether the sale would occur here or at some place to be designated later on. This matter although not generally known, was decided in the summer of 1898 by the government at Ottawa, at which time regulations governing the sale of Dominion lands in the Yukon district were adopted. By reference to these it will be seen that the sale will take place in White Horse, time of sale not yet having been definitely determined.
- January 23, 1901: Rich gold strikes are made on the headwaters of Copper River, 5000 feet above sea level.
- January 23, 1901: A winter patrol for the Dawson- White Horse route is established by the N.W.M.P. The distance between the two points is 369 miles and "the longest of a police or military nature ever established in the latitude on the western hemisphere".
- January 23, 1901: Mr. Otto H. Partridge of the Mill Haven Lumber Co. is anxiously waiting for the railroad company to commence active operation again, as he has two cars loaded with lumber for the White Horse market somewhere on the line between here and Caribou.
- February 6, 1901: W. P. & Y. Route have purchased five steamers from the Canadian Pacific, used formerly on the Stickene river by the C. P. R. They will be brought to Skagway and taken down for shipment to White Horse where they will be rebuilt. The boats are the Ogilvie, Hamlin and McConnell, which are now at Wrangel, the Dawson, now on
the ways at Vancouver, which, though completed has never been launched, and the Walsh, which has been lying in the Fraser river since the failure of the route up the Stickene river to the Yukon.
- February 6, 1901: Mr. J. C. Tache, superintendent of construction in the public works department of the Yukon, says the trail between White Horse and Dawson is in fairly good condition and freight is coming through by teams in good time. Quite a number of the roadhouses along the line are not giving the service they should. Something should be done to see that they provide travelers with better accommodations.
- February 6, 1901: A petition is being circulated in White Horse to get signatures from residents with school age children. The government will be asked to start a public school. A number of families were obliged to leave White Horse to take advantage of winter schooling in other towns, thereby incurring heavy expense in transportation, etc., besides being detrimental to the prosperity of White Horse.
- February 13, 1901: It is announced that the premier of the Dominion of Canada will pass through White Horse during the summer enroute to Dawson.
- February 13, 1901: Ignorance of the law does not relieve one from the penalties which follow its infraction. For this reason we have made arrangements whereby we shall keep our readers posted on laws which have been enacted and are now in force
in this part of the Yukon Territory. Every week we shall endeavor to publish a part of them until the list is completed. We are enabled to do so through the courtesy of Major
Primrose, who has kindly consented to furnish us with the necessary documents. In this issue, amendments to Ordinance No. 43 of 1899, "An Ordinance Respecting Trespassing and Straying Animals," is printed.
- February 13, 1901: A Calico Ball held at the Jackson-McDonnell building by the ladies auxiliary of the White Horse General Hospital was well attended and raised $120 for the hospital. Late in the evening, one of White Horse's leading society young ladies induced a "noble red man of the forest," who had been an interested spectator the whole of the evening, to be her partner in a square dance, and he went through the performance with all the dignity of a modern Chesterfield.
- February 20, 1901: Coal is discovered on the C.D. cut-off, 105 miles north of White Horse. The coal was discovered by prospectors after they were shown by Indians samples of coal which had been taken from an old Indian trail.
- February 20, 1901: Major Henry J. Woodside resigns from his position as editor of the Yukon Sun (Dawson).
- February 20, 1901: Much of the front page consists of a letter from Mrs. A.E. Chantler, describing the ease of travel between White Horse and Dawson by Canadian Development Company stage, compared to "mushing in" in the old days.
- February 27, 1901: The White Pass & Yukon Route purchases equipment including ten steamboats, terminal facilities at White Horse and Dawson, and two extensive shipyards, one at White Horse and one at Dawson. The steamboats are the Columbian, Victorian, Canadian, Yukoner, Sybil, Bailey, Zealandian, Anglian, Mary F. Graff, Joseph Clossett. The purchase goes into effect April 1st. Four other steamboats are to be ready June 1st: Dawson, Ogilvie, Hamelin, McConnell. White Pass & Yukon Route also purchases the John Irving Navigation Co., operating the steamers Gleaner and Scotia and the Taku Atlin tramway.
- February 27, 1901: Offenders along the trail are being dealt with by the police force and last week a number of fines were imposed fore interfering with the mail by obstructing the trail. One man by the name of Cohen refused to turn out for the stage near LaBarge and was arrested and fined $35 for the offense. A party with nine teams of oxen were fined $40 for obstructing the trail and for cruelty to animals, as all of their sleighs were overloaded.
- February 27, 1901: Twenty more of the North-west Mounted Police in Dawson have volunteered to go to South Africa and fight for King Edward VI. Seven from White Horse have also telegraphed their services, among whom is included Sergeant-Major Pennyfather.
- March 6, 1901: An order has been issued according to which as of March 16, gambling houses are closed and the sale of liquor in theatres is prohibited except at the bar.
- March 6, 1901: On March 1, Ottawa issued new mining regulations abolishing the six districts of the Klondike in which one was permitted to only stake one claim on every bench, river and creek in the territory.
- March 6, 1901: The White Horse Board of Trade at its regular meeting Friday night endorsed a contemplated illustrated edition of the White Horse Star.
- March 13, 1901: Supt. G. B. Pulham, of the Canadian Development Co., reports that heavy teams are cutting the trail up badly. "The greater number of freighters
are starting from White Horse with more of a load than they can haul, and as a consequence, tons of freight is cached all along the trail between Tahkeena and Chico. There is an immense lot of freight cached at Upper LaBarge."
- March 13, 1901: At Dawson as well as at White Horse much work is being done in the repairing and remodeling of boats. There are many lower river boats on the ways near that city, several being remodeled to operate on the upper river next summer. Read the entire article about the various companies and their boats here.
- March 13, 1901: The latest railroad scheme is that of a line from some Canadian point on Taku Inlet near Juneau to Atlin via the Little Salmon. Application for franchise will be presented at the next session of the B. C. legislative assembly. It is rumored that Atlin business men, assisted by outside capitalists, are behind the scheme
- March 20, 1901: Major Primrose, in command of the N.W.M.P. at White Horse has been transferred to Dawson.
- March 20, 1901: The Yukon Morning Journal is the Yukon's newest daily paper, making its initial appearance in Dawson on March 4.
- March 20, 1901: The Pacific Cold Storage Co. has completed the erection of a combination cold and warm storage plant in Dawson. The total capacity of the plant is about 600 tons.
[There are no issues online between March 20 (Vol. 1, No. 36) and April 24, 1901 (Vol. 1, No. 41).]
- April 24, 1901: On April 19, the Yukon Council is placed on a parliamentary basis by order of the new commissioner.
- April 24, 1901: Mr. H. G. Dickson, C. K., Dominion land surveyor, has just finished two elaborate blue print maps of White Horse and vicinity. One of the maps gives in detail the holdings of the W. P. & Y. Route which, including the townsite, extend along the river front a distance of three miles, with a width of from one-half to three-fourths of a mile, except one hundred feet along the water front reserved by the Government. The railroad lands comprise 17 forty acre tracts north of the townsite and one forty acre tract on the west, with 97.12 acres on the south for railway yards.
- April 24, 1901: Mr. A. Heathorn, traveling agent of the Canadian Pacific Navigation Co., Ltd., arrived on Tuesday's train and reported that by the first of May the company would have the large commodious and first class steamer Islander on the Skagway-Vancouver-Victoria run, supplemented about May 15th by the arrival of the Haytian,
which is now on the way from Hong Kong. The Haytian is a twin screw steamer and has an average speed of 14 knots per hour. In addition to the Islander and Haytian, which will only handle passengers and perishable goods, they will have the Amur and Danube and another American-bottom boat, name as yet unknown.
- May 1, 1901: Much of the front page consists of a report by the Star's special correspondent A. C. Macrae on the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo.
- May 1, 1901: A man named Schultz was taken to the hospital Tuesday suffering from acute rheumatism. He had been living in a tent north of town for several weeks in an almost destitute condition, but it was not until Tuesday that people became aware of his sufferings. He died of a heart problem shortly after being admitted. His remains were shipped to Skagway by this morning's train, in care of the B. P. O. E.
- May 1, 1901: The fleet of steamers owned and operated by the White Pass & Yukon Route is rapidly being made ready to take to the water immediavely upon the opening of navigation. During the present year there will be no less than eighteen boats flying the W. P. & Y. pennant, fifteen of which will be on the White Horse and Dawson route and three on the lakes.
- May 15, 1901: On May 1st the formal transfer of all the belongings of the Canadian Development Co., Ltd., was made to the W. P. & Y. Route management, and although the old company will still retain its name until the next meeting of its stockholders in London and the final settlement of its business, it has to all practical purposes ceased to exist and its place has keen taken by what will henceforth be known as the British Yukon Navigation Co., Ltd. The new company is under the management of Mr. H. Darling, one of the ablest and best known transportation men in the Northwest.
- May 15, 1901: A petition is presented to the Yukon Council to incorporate the White Horse Electric Power and Water Works Co.
- May 15, 1901: Early Saturday morning a report was circulated around town that the body of a man had been found on the riverbank beneath the wharf of the W. P. & Y. Route, and crowds were soon flocking to the scene of the find. The only thing visible was half of a boot sticking out of the sand and what appeared to be part of a pair of corduroy pants, the body being buried completely beneath the sand. The police were notified, and a
guard with two prisoners from the barracks were at once detailed to exhume the remains.
[There are no issues online between May 15 (Vol. 1, No. 44) and November 29, 1901 (Vol. 2, No. 26).]
- November 29, 1901: It is announced that the bill for the incorporation of Dawson will pass at the next meeting of the council. R.P. McLennan will be elected the first mayor of the town.
- November 29, 1901: Work on the all-American trail from Valdes to the Yukon River has ceased for the winter, and there is some fear here that this work is liable to be suspended or abandoned if congress does not make an appropriation to complete it.
- November 29, 1901: J. Frey of the Trans-Alaskan Railway company has gone to Washington, to work in the interests of a bill granting to the company every alternate section of land on their right of way through the peninsula. It is claimed that the new railway will be of great benefit to the government in the transportation of troops, munitions of war and mail. It is the intention to connect the Trans-Alaskan road with
the Trans-Siherian road and to settle a majority of the lands of Alaska with immigrants from Russia, Sweden, Norway and other cold countries.
- December 9, 1901: H. M. Fowle, book-keeper in Tom Chisholm's saloon, attempted to commit suicide by poison on December 9th in the Empire hotel. On examination of his accounts it was discovered that he had appropriated $1600 of Chisholm's money. Fowle is now in jail, being discovered and arrested before the poison had time to take effect. This is not Fowle's first offence, he having at one time served two years of a seven years' sentence for forgery in a Massachusetts prison.
- December 9, 1901: The coal miners of Nanimo, Alexandria and Extension have thrown down the gauntlet to Dunsmuir by passing a resolution in mass meeting on Saturday in favor of affiliating their organizations. Dunsmuir has retaliated by declaring that he will close the mines sooner than recognize such a federation.
- December 9, 1901: On Saturday about five miles this side of Lower LaBarge, as the outbound mail team was coming over the lake the whole outfit went through the ice.
The driver managed to escape and saved the mail, but a span of $700. horses and the stage were lost. Last night a mail team was going down Fifty Mile river with a led horse in the rear, when about seven miles from White Horse the shore ice suddenly gave way and precipitated three of the horses and the stage into the water. As on the lake, the day before, the driver escaped and saved the mail and also managed to rescue two of the horses, but the stage and one horse went down.
- December 10, 1901: The Porcupine Nugget says that on Nov. lOth inst., Mr. Frank Altamont and partners came out from Quartz creek, Porcupine district, bringing with them $4000 in gold dust and nuggets. The gold is clean and of an excellent quality, being worth $19 per ounce. They report the creek very long and narrow and that the diggings are shallow, bedrock being reached from three to five feet and that the gravel pays from the top down.
- December 10, 1901: Mr. Carpenter of "The Best" lodging house is busily engaged in preparing the drawings for a fine new hotel which he purposes building in the Big Salmon district next spring. He will start into the Big Salmon in a few days to get
everything in readiness to rush things when he commences work.
- December 10, 1901: A curious find is reported from claim No. 1 below on Anvil creek, in the Nome district. Within four inches of bed rock what was once apparantly a neck chain was picked up. It is composed of small wooden balls, connected by an iron wire. Every fourth ball is carved with figures that look like Chinese characters. The chain is about fourteen inches long, and is in a good state of preservatton. The neck chain was
evidently a prized relic of some fair maiden of prehistoric race.
- December 11, 1901: Capt. Chas. A. T. Brauard who has spent 5 years in the Arctic, says that the northern shores of Kotzebue Sound to the Arctic ocean, a distance of 300 miles, is one immense bed of bituminous coal.
- December 11, 1901: When the news of the change of proprietorship of the Skagway Alaskan was received at White Horse the other day it was thought probable that that sheet would change its policy of villifying Canadians, but comments on the editorial page of last Tuesday show that the impression was erroneous.
- December 11, 1901: The continued failure of the telegraph line to give an effective service is decidedly disappointing. The prospect of having the news of the world sent in over the wire each day has been something very pleasant to contemplate. It must be said, however, to the credit of the public works department, that every possible effort has been made to keep the line in successful operation. No expense has been spared and no
labor has been too heavy for the men in the employ of the department to undertake in endeavoring to keep the line open. The simple fact of the matter is that the physical conditions necessary to be overcome are so many and varied that it is almost impossible to surmount them.
- December 12, 1901: It is only due to the superhuman efforts almost of the men in the employ of the B. Y. N. Co., that the safe arrival of the mail from Dawson Monday night was accomplished. Labering in water up to their waists with the thermometer from 20 to 25 degrees below zero and in the face of almost insurmountable obstacles the picked and tried men of the company, after tireless efforts, brought the mail safely to White Horse.
- December 12, 1901: An application will be made to the Parliament of Canada, at its next settings, to incorporate a railway company called the "Lake Bennett Railway Company," to_construct, equip, operate and maintain a railway from a point on or near the Dyea river, on the international boundary between British Columbia and Alaska, to a point at or near Lake Bennett, thence to a point on the Yukon river at or near Selkirk in Yukon Territory.
- December 12, 1901: Major Z. T. Wood, of Dawson, in command of the N. W. M. P. of Yukon Territory, has sent instructions to Major Snyder to close all the slot machines in operation in this part of the territory. Sergeant Brooke was around this morning notifying the various owners of machines that their use would have to be discontinued immediately.
- December 13, 1901: Seventy-five dollars and costs was the price a White Horse hotel keeper and former dance hall proprietor had to pay for being a ruffian. John Barrett was charged with assault against Edward Sheppard, who had gotten drunk in his hotel. It is sincerely to be hoped that this cheap lesson is the beginning of the end of this man in so far as his ruffianly conduct towards helpless and defenseless women and inebriated men, who are so unfortunate as to be within reach of his sticks, bottles and boots is concerned. Barrett refused to pay the fine, but one night in gaol changed his mind.
- December 13, 1901: Manager Jas. H. Russell of the White Horse hotel intends to fit up the bar in that building in a manner that would reflect credit on it were it located in one of the larger cities of the coast instead of at White Horse. As an initiatory step looking to this end he has just received a large invoice of the choicest and most expensive cut glassware, designed especially for bars, that has ever been shipped north. and which he will have in place in a short time.
- December 13, 1901: A glance at the weather report will show a still further moderation in temperature from that of yesterday, and the almost spring like weather of today has had a tendency to raise the water in the river still higher. The floor of the engine room of the fire company is now covered with about seven inches of water, which is slowly but surely rising, and which, if it continues, will in a short time flood the furnaces, thus depriving the town of its only means of protection in ease a fire shall occur. The Yukon Electrical company is also flooded and has turned off the power, and employees of the Whitehorse Steam Laundry are wearing rubber boots to do their duties.
- December 23, 1901: The Yukon council established the position of the Yukon commissioner. The commissioner is appointed by the Council and does not need to be a resident of the territory.
- December 23, 1901: H. J. Mignerey of Seattle, managing owner of the famous Yukon river steamer Clifford Sifton, announces that vessel is to be enlarged and remodeled so as to carry 30 additional first class passengers. Her present passenger capacity is 190, of which 70 are first class. Enlarged and remodeled she will be able to accommodate 100 first and about 150 second-class passengers. While the Sifton's regularly ran is from White Horse to Dawson, she will during the coming summer, make one round trip from Dawson to St. Michael, sailing from Dawson about July 10. Returning she will have in tow a 500 ton barge, which the Sifton's owners propose to build next spring at Dutch harbor.
- December 23, 1901: Messrs. Bob McIntosh, Dave Early and Leonard Machett arrived out from Livingston, Big Salmon district, Saturday night. They made the trip with
a two horse team and while on the way out cut 25 miles of trail; so that now there is a good plain road all the way to the Big Salmon. This trail on leaving White Horse follows the mail trail down the river until it reaches the Indian village about one mile below Upper LaBarge. At this point it branches off and goes across the country to Mason's Landing and from thereto the Big Salmon.
- December 27, 1901: Water is now delivered in White Horse by boys for five cents a bucket.
- December 30, 1901: The total population of the Yukon 21,000. 8,500 live in Dawson, 800 in White Horse. On the Klondike creeks, which are populated almost exclusively by miners, there are over 6,000 people. There are 1,000 Indians and 300 Eskimos.
- December 31, 1901: J. H. Seely, of the N. W. M. P. secret service, has made public, at Victoria, the discovery of a murder committed by O'Brien prior to the three murders for which he was hanged at Dawson. The man murdered was named Habnemann, and he was killed in the spring of 1898. O'Brien held him up, robbed him and then killed him by striking him with a lead pipe. He threw the body into the river where it was found by the mounted police.
- December 31, 1901: People are still trying to produce evidence to show what financial strength is back of the railroad which may he the outcome of a survey now going on from Pyramid harbor toward Porcupine or toward the Yukon. A man who claims to know a
little of the project says that E. C. Hawkins is back of the survey; back of Mr. Hawkins is the Moore Investment Co., of Seattle, and back of that company is Close Bros., of Chicago.
- December 31, 1901: The trial at Juneau of Homer Bird for the 1898 murder of J. H. Hurlin has found him guilty and declared his life forfeited.
- March 12, 1902: The construction of a road between Dawson and White Horse is investigated. To that point, the Yukon River is used to access the two communities, leaving the city without mail after the end of the boating season and before the river is frozen.
- March 22, 1902: Win Perkins became the new manager of the Hotel Grand as of yesterday.
- April 9, 1902: Supt. E. Pulham breaks the record of fast travel between White Horse and Dawson. He made the journey in an unprecedented time of 3 days and 10 hours.
- April 23, 1902: Hydraulic machinery arrives in the Yukon on April 12, 1902 to be used on a test basis for mining. It is installed at No. 63 below on Bonanza, under the personal supervision of J.H. Adams, its inventor.
- April 23, 1902: Inspector Fitz Horrigan is appointed deputy sheriff for the Yukon Territory.
- April 26, 1902: Ottawa promotes Major Wood, former officer commanding the North West Mounted Police in the Yukon Territory, to the position of assistant commissioner of the force and commanding within the Yukon Territory. This change severs the connection between the Yukon and the Northwest Territories for police purposes.
- April 30, 1902: The incorporation of White Horse is discussed in public. Main reason for the incorporation is to regulate the sale of goods by transient dealers during the summer months.
- May 7, 1902: The White Horse Masonic Lodge is installed on May 5.
- May 10, 1902: Gold is discovered in the Corvette mine in the Whitehorse copper belt: "if the ore carries anything like the values shown at present the Corvette promises to be one of the most valuable properties ever opened up in any section of the world."
- May 21, 1902: The Sybil of the B.Y.N. fleet is the first boat of the season to reach Dawson.
- June 4, 1902: Governor J.H. Ross arrives in Whitehorse May 31, 1902. He is guest at the home of Major A.E. Snyder. The Governor also meets with the Board of Trade.
- June 11, 1902: The Semi-Weekly Star changes from spelling White Horse as two words, to one word, Whitehorse.
- June 25, 1902: The-party of three that left Whitehorse last week to locate a route for building of the trail to the Mush creek mines has not been heard from. The trail will be about 115 miles long, and Maj. Snyder says the country is filled with game and three lakes teem with fish.
- June 25, 1902: The steamer Thistle was launched at Lower Laberge on the 16th inst. and when in the water drew only four inches. A number of people from Whitehorse and Hootalingua were present to witness the launching. Miss G. Lindquist christened the vessel by breaking a bottle on the bow. After the launching was over dinner was given at the Hotel de Clark. Sergt.-Maj. Barker spoke very highly of Laberge City and said he hoped it
would be the shipbuilding center of the Yukon for all time to come.
- June 25, 1902: King Edward had to undergo an operation for appendicitis today, in consequence of which the coronation exercises have been indefinitely postponed.
- June 28, 1902: The headline states that no Chinese are wanted in the territory. The five Chinese people that arrived on the train from Skagway are warned by the Committee of Citizens to leave as soon as possible.
- June 28, 1902: The Eureka Landing Hotel is now open to the public. Situated on the Hootalinqua river, 25 miles above Hootalinqua Post, at the head of navigation, and 13 miles from the Big Salmon Mines. It is not a roadhouse, but a first-class hotel, with the best of accommodations for 80 people. A wide verandah faces on the river from which can be had an unobstructed view of the most magnificent scenery to be found within the broad expanse of the north.
- June 28, 1902: The labor problem in Yukon Territory is beginning to assume a serious aspect and considering the number of idle men in Dawson and vicinity it has been decided by the local labor council to warn kindred unions on the outside against the importation of any more men for labor or any other purpose which would react to force a greater stagnation of the labor market. This step has been taken partially because of reports that men are being advertised for and urged to come to Dawson to help build railways in every imaginable direction.
- July 5, 1902: The Dawson City Council decides to retain the N.W.M. Police for the policing of the city.
- July 9, 1902: The start of road construction works is announced. This includes the Dawson-Selkirk road and the Dawson-Whitehorse overland trail.
- July 12, 1902: Mr. Fred J. Holland has in hand the construction of a large gold dredge to be used on Stewart river. It is building at Mr. Holland's yards under supervision of Ex-Commissioner Ogilvie. The machinery is expected to arrive here from Montreal by the first of August, when it will be put in place and the dredge towed down the Yukon and up Stewart river to Mr. Ogilvie's concession,
- July 12, 1902: The liquor ordinance recently passed by the Yukon council contains 124 sections and covers all matters respecting the sale of intoxicants in the Yukon territory. The fee for a hotel license in Dawson is $1250 per anuum; Klondike City, Whitehorse or Bonanza, $1000; in any other part of the territory, $250. A saloon license in Dawson costs $1500 and a steamboat license is $250. These fees are in addition to the $50 fee which shall accompany each application. Hotels in cities and towns mus have not less than twelve bedrooms, and in other places, four bedrooms.
- July 12, 1902: Mr. G. Gervais, owner of the Valerie mine in the Whitehorse district, has been doing considerable work on the claim for the past few months. Sunday
he came to town, and wile he was away, a pack of supplies was stolen. The thief was spotted by neighbor Wm. Moorford and the pack was dropped on the trail. This is the first case that has been reported of any thieving being done at the mines and is a result of the country being overrun with broken men who are forced to steal in order to live.
- July 19: Governor Ross suffers a paralytic stroke on July 18 while travelling on the steamer Columbia from Dawson to White Horse. On August 9, Major Z.T. Wood of the N.W.M.P. stationed at Dawson is appointed temporary commissioner of Yukon Territory during the illness of Governor Ross.
- July 30, 1902: Work on the Copper King and Grafter roads commence August 1.
- August 2, 1902: The north bound passenger train left Skagway yesterday with five coaches and several freight cars. While crossing a bridge one mile north of Clifton,
one of the middle coaches went off the track and bumped along over the ties for about forty feet, but owing to the prompt action of the engineer the train was brought to a stop before any serious damage was done.
- August 2, 1902: Yesterday, a company of which Mr. Jas. H. Russell is manager, purchased the Savoy Hotel property and will take possession early next week.
- August 2, 1902: Mr. F. August Heinze, the millionaire copper mine owner of Butte, Mont., is in Whitehorse en route to Dawson. He and his and party, accompanied by Messrs. Whitney, Granger and others interested in the Whitehorse district started out to
examine the Copper King, Anaconda, Carlisle, Rabbit's Foot and Pueblo. Tomorrow they will
take in the Grafter, Corvette and other properties. Much is expected of Mr. Heinze's visit to the mines.
- August 9, 1902: With this issue the SEMI- WEEKLY STAR bows itself out and we appear before the public as the Whitehorse WEEKLY STAR - a twenty-four column newspaper instead of the less pretentious sixteen column paper of the past two years.
- August 9, 1902: Mrs. Catherine Draine, a resident of Dawson who had been on her way outside for medical treatment, died at the Whitehorse General Hospital on August 5th. Read the entire article here.
- August 9, 1902: Having decided to retire from business, I am now offering at a bargain the property known as the Hotel Grand, one of the most centrally located and finely fitted up hotels in Whitehorse. For full particulars and information, apply at hotel office to John Barrett, Proprietor.
- August 16, 1902: For some time past the School Board have been working earnestly to secure for Whitehorse educational facilities that would be an inducement for
families to settle here rather than go outside. Word has just been received that Mr. Fisher and an assistant teacher would report for duty at Whitehorse on September 1st. The principal's salary will be $200 per month.
- August 16, 1902: Last week Territorial Engineer Thibedeau completed the work of locating the new government road between Eureka Landing on the Hootalinqua and Livingstone creek. Saturday the steamer Bailey left Whitehorse with a large amount of supplies and men to begin construction, and the work is now well under way. The road extends from Eureka Landing on the Hootalinqua, 22 miles above its mouth, to Livingstone
village, which is located on 30 below, Livingstone creek. It will be 16 miles in length, graded for the use of wagons and first-class in eyery respect.
- August 16, 1902: Work on the Whitehorse-Dawson road is being pushed forward as rapidly as men and teams can accomplish it, and before there is any necessity for its
use it will be completed between the two points. At present it is only intended for use in the winter and hence will be impracticable as an overland route between Whitehorse and Dawson during the summer months for the reason that no bridges will be built over the many
laage, deep and rapid streams that are encountered. In the winter, however, these can be easily crossed on the ice.
- August 23, 1902: Yesterday Peter Fournier, who left Whitehorse on June 16th in a small boat with Leon Bauthillette and Guy Joseph Beaudoin, whose bullet pierced bodies were found about a meonth ago in the Yukon river near Ogilvie, was arrested here. Four hundred dollars in Quebec bank notes were found on his person. The police are hot on the trail of a man named Labelle, Fournier's partner, and who is also known to have been one of the party when it left Whitehorse. It is believed by the police that there is still another body in the river.
- August 23, 1902: Manager Macaulay of the Whitehorse hotel has made arrangements to put in a gasoline furnace for heating purposes. These furnaces are in use in Dawson and it is said effect a great saving over the cost of wood in heating large buildings.
- August 23, 1902: The school board met Thursday and awarded the contract for the construction of the Whitehorse public school building to R. H. McDonald, for $2545. The specifications call for native lumber for all except doors, windows, casings and interior finish, which is to be of outside lumber. All the outside material was ordered last week by the school board, and its cost is not included in the contract price. Sixty single desks and two rubber cloth blackboards have also been ordered.
- August 30, 1902: The Northern Commercial Company at Dawson has cut the wages of its employees 40 per cent. All their old men are quitting. The other big companies still maintain former standard.
- August 30, 1902: Swan Harrison, who escaped from the Northwest Mounted police at Selkirk on the Yukon a year ago, has just been captured by members of the same efficient force at a point thousands of miles distant. Harrison has been taken a prisoner in the Northwest Territories. Read the entire article here.
- August 30, 1902: A second meeting was held regarding moving the cemetery to the plateau west of town, but a suitable site has not yet been found.
- September 20, 1902: Governor J.H. Ross is re-elected as governor on September 18. He was the only one nominated. Fred McLeonan is elected chairman.
- September 20, 1902: The Canadian Bank of Commerce of Skagway is blown up by a stick of dynamite thrown by an unknown man on September 15.
- October 4, 1902: Right Rev. Gabriel Breynat becomes the first bishop of the Yukon and Northwest Territories. He arrives in White Horse on September 29, on his way to Dawson.
- November 1, 1902: The Imperial Hotel is purchased by W. Curtis from J.H. Russell.
- November 22, 1902: The Platform of the Dawson Nominating Convention nominates James H. Ross as a candidate for the House of Commons.
- December 6, 1902: St. Andrew's Day Banquet is held in Whitehorse by the Scottish residents.
- December 6, 1902: Governor Ross defeats Mr. Clark in the Yukon Elections.
- December 6, 1902: John McIntyre is assumed to be dead as he and his companion Abbey went missing on their way from Atlin to Log Cabin. Their sled and the bodies of the dog team are found December 11. The bodies of the two men were not found.
- January 10, 1903: Fred T. Congdon is appointed Governor of the Yukon. He succeeds Hon. James H. Ross.
- January 17, 1903: Robert Lowe is elected to the Yukon Council on January 15, defeating Mr. Dixon and Dr. Sudegh. Joseph A. Clarke and Mr. Thompson represent Dawson and the Klondike district in the Yukon Council. Rev. John Pringle and Max Launderville are elected representatives for the creeks.
- January 17, 1903: Robert Purves McLennan wins the mayoral election in Dawson, defeating Donal Watson Davis, Thomas Adair, and Joseph H. Davison. Aldermen are F.N. Johnson, James Fraser Madonald, George Murphy, Michael Ryan, Abraham LaLande and A. F. Edwards.
- March 7, 1903: K.B. McLennan takes over the Whitehorse Hotel through a leasing contract.
- March 21, 1903: The North Star Athletic Club elects its new officers: Robert Lowe (president), R.D. Pinno, A.E. Fisher, Robert McDonal, Alex P. Drapes, W.S. Watsch, Sprost, J.A. Fairborn, G.C. Mellot.
- March 21, 1903: A rich quartz strike is made in the Big Salmon country. The quartz deposit was located by R.B. Eames, James Gillisse, Mr. Geary and Henry McKern.
- May 16, 1903: The body of John McIntyre is recovered May 14 (see also December 6, 1902).
- May 16 May 23, 1903: The first boat to be launched is the Casca from the B.Y.N. fleet, on May 14. The first steamer to be put into commission for the season of '03 is the Joseph Closett, on May 17.
- May 30, 1903: An enthusiastic crowd gathered in Whitehorse to witness the balloon ascension by John Leonard, the "Prince of the Air." Read the entire article here.
- May 30, 1903: John Smart, a young Indian, was run over by W. P. & Y. Ry. engine 29 about half a mile the other side of Dugdale. His body was horribly mangled, and he died before the train reached Whitehorse. Read the entire article here.
- May 30, 1903: Since Victoria Day work on the Grafter has beea at a standstill. After Burke jumped the contract the syndicate hired men to continue the work but it is next thing to impossible to hold them now that the river has openedy The men will work for a few days at a stretch and then leave for Dawson. However, as soon as a responsible man comes along the sinking of the shaft will be continued.
- June 6, 1903: As soon as the ice on Lake Laberge begins to move out the palatial steamer White Horse will sail for Dawson. All the first class accommodations of this boat have been sold and she will go down the river with a full load. The next steamer to be sent out will be the Columbian. Already tickets are being sold for her trip and the first class list is rapidly filling up. The Dawson and Selkirk will leave Whitehorse in the order named after the sailing of the Columbian. First class tickets are being purchased by almost everyone. There is such a small difference between this and the second class rate that travelers down the river are taking the best that is going.
- June 6, 1903: The steamer Sybil, which was coming up the river from Dawson, got fast ona bar near Minto. Her passengers and mail were transferred to the steamer Clifford Sifton und were brought by that boat to the foot of the lake. The mail was packed around to the head of the lake where connection was made with the Clossett.
- June 6, 1903: Among the display ads is one for the Anderson Hotel in Caribou, Dawson Charley, Proprietor.
- June 20, 1903: The North Star Athletic Club in a good financial situation, it has been decided to incorporate and build a new club house. At a meeting last Tuesday, plans prepared by Mr. McAuley were presented. The plans show a building about the same size as the Arctic Brotherhood hall. The main hall will be utilized us a gymnasium and will be about 30 by 70 feet. There will be no ceiling, the hall extending to the roof. The front portion of the building will have a cozy reading room down stairs and one or two good rooms upstairs which will overlook the main hall. The cost of the building will be about three thousand dollars.
- July 3, 1903: A special excursion train to the Fourth of July celebrations at Skagway will leave Whitehorse at 5 a.m. Saturday, and people can return that evening or the next morning.
- July 3, 1903: A report on the Whitehorse Public School lists top students and those promoted to the next Standard.
- July 3, 1903: J. H. Conrad, the Montana copper millionaire, returned from an inspection of the Whitehorse copper properties and the Engineer and Gleaner groups yesterday. He has spoken very highly of the Whitehorse prospects, and strongly advises the owners to develop their properties.
- March 1, 1904: For the second time during the history of Whitehorse the publishers of the Star are issuing a daily edition. Two years since when we took this action we were compelled to abandon the venture after about two months, principally because the telegraph line broke down, and the arrangements for repairing not being on as satisfactory and systematic basis as at present; the line was down for such long periods at each break that we were unable to obtain satisfactory telegraphic news, and without such a daily paper has practically no value to the subscribers.
- March 12, 1904: Whitehorse receives from the federal government $5,000 for public buildings.
- March 28, 1904: Arrangements are made for marking the international Alaskan boundary line. The boundary will be marked with iron posts or stone cairns.
- April 12, 1904: A train carrying Japanese labourers is caught in a snow slide in BC's Selkirk Mountains and swept off the tracks into the canyon below. Two railway workers will killed, but no passengers.
- April 13, 1904: A new crown bill empowers the Yukon Council to pass ordinances for the division of the Yukon Territory into electoral districts.
- May 2, 1904: Bullion creek is at present without doubt the scene of more activity than any other locality in Yukon. On every claim both above and below discovery owners of property are busily engaged in preparing for summer work.
- May 12, 1904: The steamer Casca is launched.
- May 12, 1904: J. H. Conrad, representing the syndicate that has bonded the Arctic Chief copper property, would leave Seattle today for Whitehorse and is expected to reach here next Monday. It is thought he will be accompanied by Capt. John Irving.
- May 12, 1904: Two surveying parties are now en route from Ottawa for the purpose of surveying the Canadian-Alaska boundary under the London award of last fall.
- June 21, 1904: The steamer Olive May sinks in the Thirtymile river, 14 miles down from the Lower Laberge, after hitting strucking a rock.
- June 25, 1904: King Edward honours the service of the N.W.M. Police by bestowing on it the prefix "Royal".
- June 30, 1904: Thomas J. Kearney of Bonanza is named the candidate of the Liberal association on June 29, for the upcoming territorial elections. Former governor J.H. Ross had previously declined his nomination.
- July 1, 1904: A report on the Whitehorse Public School lists top students and those promoted to the next Standard. The school was open 124 teaching days, and attendance varied from 21 to 27 students in the Senior Room, and 14 to 21 students in the Primary Room.
- July 1, 1904: The police steamer Vidette reached here from Dawson today and
will remain in port two or three days. A patient named Bumgarten, having been adjudged insane, was brought on the steamer en route to the New Westminister asylum where it is believed his mind can be restored.
- July 11, 1904: A special train of five coaches arrived last night with companies G and A of the United States infantry, third regiment, comprising eight officers and 135 men. The companies were direct from Columbus, Ohio, and were en route to Fort Egbert, at Eagle, Alaska.
- July 26, 1904: The richest single piece of gold ever picked up in the Klondike is a nugget found on the Mohr fraction. It weighs 84 ounces and is absolutely free of Quartz.
- August 10, 1904: A clean-up action on No. 10 Eldorado creek yields $20,000 in 2,5 days. The claim had been worked on since 1897.
- August 18, 1904: It is announced that a railway will be built from Chena to Gilroy and Pedro creeks, in the Tanana country.
- August 18, 1904: Dawson's Carnegie Library is formally opened August 16, 1904 by Commissioner Fred T. Congdon.
- August 26, 1904: The new light draft steamer Tanana, built by the Northern Commercial company expressly for service on shallow streams tributary to the Yukon arrives at Chena, the final point of her maiden voyage.
- January 17, 1905: Ottawa discharges 30 members of the government service in the administration building and on the creeks. This is the most sweeping order that has ever come to the Yukon. The names of the concerned government employes are published in the January 18 issue.
- January 18, 1905: George Black, attorney of Whitehorse, is nominated by the independent party as candidate for the Yukon council.
- January 25, 1905: It is announced that the Klondike Creeks railroad running to Grand Forks will start from Dawson proper instead of from Klondike City as primarily intended.
- January 28, 1905: Rev. J. A. Sinclair, M.A., first presbyterian Minister at Whitehorse, dies January 15 in Regina. Sinclair built the Presbyterian church in Whitehorse in 1903, the Bennett Presbyterian church in 1899 and in 1898 he was pastor of the Presbyterian congregation in Skagway.
- January 30, 1905: The proposition to annex Yukon to British Columbia is looked upon in favour, as by that means the Yukon would escape from "present political turmoil" and cut heavy expenses. It is also argued that annexation would put the "very desirable" British Columbia laws in effect.
- February 1, 1905: The federal government spend $11,500 to improve Five Fingers and Rink rapids.
- February 8, 1905: Alfred Thompson is elected Yukon MP by a majority of 618 votes.
- February 9, 1905: Joe Clarke is nominated by the nondescript convention, composed of neither liberals, conservatives not independents for candidate for the Yukon council.
- February 9, 1905: The Detroit-Yukon mining company purchases the Boyle's and William's concession. The American branch of the Rothschild family is backing the Detroit-Yukon Mining company.
- March 14, 1905: W. MacPherson is appointed director of surveys for the Yukon. He succeeds C.C. Chattaway.
- March 22, 1905: The steamer Casca is purchased by the White Pass company from William Rennie. The purchase gives White Pass control of all steamers regularly operated on the upper Yukon river, between Whitehorse and Dawson.
- March 22, 1905: Dawson is now putting up a howl over the fact that Russians are offering to work on the Dawson-Creeks railroad at $2.25 per day and board, which, by the way, is better money than the average laborer in the shaft has made for the past three years, working and loafing alternately. With Russians doing the outside manual labor, and Japs doing the cooking and chamberwork at Dawson, there is nothing left for "po' white
trash" but to pack up and move on.
- March 29, 1905: Robert Lowe is the unanimous choice of the Whitehorse district as candidate for the April 12th election to the Yukon council.
- April 11, 1905: W.F. Thompson revives the temporarily defunct Yukon Sun which is now issued as a weekly paper.
- April 13, 1905: The members of the Yukon council are elected: In North Dawson Henry C. Macaulay defeats N.F. Hagel, in South Dawson T.W. O'Brien defeats Joseph A. Clarke. In Bonanza sub-district Richard Gillespie receives majority over C. Reid. George Black is elected by acclamation in the Dominion sub-district. The council holds its first meeting August 24.
- On May 23, 1905, the town of Whitehorse was partially destroyed by fire. The damage is estimated at $300,000.
- August 9, 1905: The immenseness of the rich ore body in the Conrad properties on Windy Arm has been established. The vein, richer than ever, bas been pierced by a
tunnel driven into the lode 400 feet down the mountain side from the point it was first discovered. That establishes that there is $50-a-ton ore all the way between and that there is a sufficient body of it now in sight to make it certain that one of the world's greatest mines is about to be opened up.
- August 9, 1905: Extensive worl on the Yukon roads will be commenced in a few days. Already the work has been planned and the men who are to superintend it have been chosen. Nearly every road in the territory will be gone over and repairs made where needed, some being extended to reach new districts. Among the improvements mapped out by the department is a road from Carcross to the Conrad silver mines on Windy Arm.
- August 30, 1905: The building previously occupied by the Bennett News Co. is removed from Front Street.
- September 7, 1905: George Black, member of the Yukon Council, proposes a wholly elective council. Councilman Lowe opposed the resolution as conditions, population and finances of the territory don't justify it.
- September 14, 1905: All the Dawson merchants form a combine to regulate prices. The combine goes into effect September 25, 1905.
- September 16, 1905: A.J. MacPherson, formerly Yukon government surveyor, is appointed provincial engineer for Saskatchewan.
- September 18, 1905: A fire on September 14 destroys the entire business district of the town of Nome. The damage is estimated at $500,000. Many are bankrupt as a result of the fire.
- September 26, 1905: E.C. Senkler, gold commissioner, is married to Emma McFarlane.
- October 3, 1905: It is announced that Dawson will receive magazines and newspapers during the winter 1905/06.
- October 5, 1905: Steamer White Horse leaving on October 8 for Dawson is the last down river steamer of the season.
- October 14, 1905: The sawmill at Caribou burns to the ground. The estimated damage is $30,000.
- October 24, 1905: The Yukon gold output for the 1905 season is $7,758,904.80, with gold at $16 per ounce.
- November 17, 1905: Rev. I.O. Stringer of Winnipeg is elected bishop of the diocese of Selkirk November 16, 1905. He follows Bishop Bompas who resigned because of old age.
- November 17, 1905: Tagish Charley, an Indian well known throughout the Yukon, died on November 12.
- November 28, 1905: The new directors of the North Star Athletic Association are Robert Lowe, Dr. P.E. Scharschmidt, Percy R. Peele, G.B. Edwards, Robert Smart, G.D. Reid, J. Fairborns, H. Taylor.
- December 1, 1905: Two old-time Yukoners were lost back on October 26th when their scow was sucked under the ice below Coal Creek. Lost were James Sullivan, manager of the McDonald Trading Company at Dawson, and builder B. F. Sinclair from South Dawson.
- December 1, 1905: At a cost of more than $50,000 the Alaska Steamship Company is installing new boilers in the liner Dolphin, and converting her to an oil burner.
- December 6, 1905: Constable Vinail, secretary of the R. N. W. M. P. skating rink organization, announces that the skating rink at the barracks will be open for the first time tomorrow night to all persons holding invitations. The ice is in fine condition and an evening of rare entertainment is promised.
- December 6, 1905: A fire at the blacksmith shop at the police barracks was quickly contained, but considerable water damage was done to the adjoining tailor shop, and several firemen got frostbitten ears.
- December 6, 1905: John Pugh of Vancouver has opened a taxidermy shop at Carcross.
- December 15, 1905: Allen McDonald sold his lot and cabin situated on Front Street in Conrad to August Voelpel, formerly of the Whitehorse Steam Laundry. The price is said to be in the neighborhood of $800.
- December 26, 1905: The coastal steamer Portland goes ashore on Spire Rock on December 21 and is completely destroyed.
- December 26, 1905: Billy Weisdeppe, the popular owner of the "Diamond W" outfit, drove a party of friends from Conrad over to Caribou on Christmas night in one of his four horse sleighs, returning the following day. The oldtimers at Caribou have not yet
recovered from the shock und novelty of seeing a four horse stage.
- January 12, 1906: A rich body of high grade ore is discovered in Black Hawk Claim in the Windy Arm District.
- January 17, 1906: The local government assay office presided over by Robert Smart is now the only one in Yukon Territory.
- January 25, 1906: All Yukon is shut off from telegraphic communication with the outside world due to bad weather.
- January 26, 1906: Godfrey Chealauder, the hustling commissioner of the Alaska-Yukon exposition, inaugurates the preparations for the exposition to be held in Seattle in 1909.
- February 1, 1906: Peter Richen builds a hotel in the new mining town of Conrad. The building will be 30 by 80 feet, two and one half stories, with an annex 18 by 30 feet. It is his aim to make his new place of business first class in every particular.
- February 1, 1906: Dawson votes for a hydrant water system.
- February 6, 1906: Capt. Roald Amundsen leaves Eagle for Herschel island, where he rejoins his vessel.
- February 8, 1906: Yukon Commissioner Hon. W.W.B. McInnes arrives in Whitehorse on his way from Dawson to Ottawa.
- February 13, 1906: G.H. Sproat, superintending engineer of the B.Y.N. fleet of steamers, dies in Victoria.
- February 15, 1906: The Whitehorse Carnival is a great success.
- February 24, 1906: Dr. Thompson becomes the Yukon MP.
- March 2, 1906: J.P. Rogers resigns from his job as superintendent of the White Pass railway as of April 1. He is succeeded by Victor I. Hahn. Hahn takes charge of the office duties March 15.
- March 9, 1906: In preparation for heavy traffic along the Alaskan Coast, the Northwestern Steamship Company buys three new steamers (Orizaba, Saratoga, Yucatan) of 3000 tons.
- March 12, 1906: The Monte Carlo building on First Avenue in Dawson is destroyed by fire on March 8.
- March 19, 1906: White Pass & Yukon Route joins the Rosene company to build a railroad up the Copper river from Valdez.
- March 26, 1906: Ottawa asks the White Pass company to lower prices for their freight charges into Dawson and the Klondike country.
- March 26, 1906: Wrangel, the oldest town in southeastern Alaska, burns down to the ground on March 24. The loss is estimated at $1,000,000.
- March 29, 1906: By an arrangement made between the Bank of Commerce and the Bank of British North America, no more American silver is put in circulation in Dawson, in conformity to an order issued by the Dominion government for the recall of all American silver.
- April 2, 1906: According to the Dawson News, there is no truth to be found in any statement that the government has decided to reduce the force of the R.N.W.M P. in the Yukon to fifty men.
- April 2, 1906: The Guggenheims take over all the Treadgold interest on Bonanza, on March 31.
- April 28, 1906: In San Francisco, the last sign of confusion caused by the terrible disaster of April 18th (the great earthquake), has disappeared, and order is at last restored. Active preparation for rebuilding the city are already well under way. Many improvements are to be made, such as wider streets and doing away with Chinatown. The chinks are now encamped at the Presidio, and it has not been decided as yet where they will be allowed to build. Capt. Ritter, of the marine guard, arrested a militiaman named Wilder for reckless shooting. Wilder is twenty years of age and it is said he would shoot at men like at mad dogs.
- May 4, 1906: "The Daily Evening Star" becomes the "The Weekly Star".
- May 4, 1906: The similarities between the ore bodies found on Conrad Mountain and those made at Mount Davidson 35 years ago are striking, and a new Virginia City may be about to be developed in the Yukon.
- May 4, 1906: Jack Dalton will give his personal attention to the interior meat trade this year, a business in the prosecution of which, in the early days, he built the
Dalton trail. He will ship great quantities of cattle to Fairbanks and other points on the American Yukon.
- May 18, 1906: T. M. Daulton, president and superintendent of the Anglo-American Mining company of the Windy Arm mining district, arrived on the City of Seattle and will leave tomorrow for the mines where they will begin the work of preparing for the season’s activities. Ira Petty, the original owner of the Montana, the Venus, and many other choice Conrad properties, and who still owns property in the Windy Arm district, also arrived on the City of Seattle. He will spend several months at Caribou and Conrad.
- May 18, 1906: It was announced today that new timber regulations are being prepared
for the Yukon. No more timber berths are to be granted; all timber in the future must be acquired by permits. Owners of road houses and settlers will get their timber free.
- May 25, 1906: The business district of Fairbanks has been practically wiped out by fire. Losses are expected to reach $2,500,000. The Northern Commercial company is feeding the destitute from their warehouse stock, which was saved.
- June 8, 1906: D. D. Cairnes and H. Matheson of the Geological Survey of Canada arrived from Ottawa on Saturday. They intend to spend a couple of weeks at Windy Arm looking over the mines and other places. They will then visit the coal mines this side of Whitehorse and also at Tantalus. On their return trip they will come by the way of the Wheaton river and explore that place thoroughly. They intend to remain in the country until the first of October.
- June 15, 1906: Right Rev. William Carpenter Bompas, D.D. dies at Carcross on June 9.
- June 15, 1906: The Dominion Hotel in Whitehorse is leased by Mrs. R. Kelsey.
- July 13, 1906: Works on the Peace River-Yukon trail resume. It is planned to finish the trail.
- July 13, 1906: Mining at Pueblo Mine begins.
- July 20, 1906: A rich vein of gold-bearing quartz is discovered near Robinson, at the headwaters of the Watson River.
- July 27, 1906: W.C. Grainger and H.W. Vance locate and file application for a townsite at the railroad siding known as Robinson, 21 miles south from Whitehorse.
- August 3, 1906: Governor W. W. B. McInnes, accompanied by the watch dog of the territorial treasury, Comptroller J. T. Lithgow, arrived in Whitehorse Monday night on the steamer White Horse and since that time they have been busy at the various points which are destined to make Southern Yukon famous as the greatest quartz mining field of the North American continent.
- September 28, 1906: The White Pass steamer Columbian is wrecked by the explosion of three tons of black powder aboard. The accident occurred on the Yukon River at Eagle Rock on September 25. After the explosion the steamer was run to the shore where she burned down. Five people die in the accident, more are injured.
- September 28, 1906: The lack of the usual amount of reading matter in this issue of the Star is due to the illness of the head man of our mechanical force, A. B. McEacheran, who has been confined to his bed since last Sunday afternoon with an attack of appendicitis.
- October 19, 1906: Thanksgiving in Whitehorse Slightly Insipid. Yesterday was Thankegiving and as such was observed by the school, bank and all the public officers. The fact that there were no turkeys to be had tended to detract from interest in the day.
- October 19, 1906: Every steamer arriving from Dawson for the past three or four weeks has been loaded to the guards with passengers, but none have been crowded equal to those arriving during the past week. The Dawson, Canadian, Selkirk and White Horse, the latter arriving in this afternoon, were all crowded to their full capacity.
- October 19, 1906: Margaret Flemming is married to Joseph Wellington Clifton on October 17.
- November 2, 1906: Winter mail service from Whitehorse northward is inaugurated October 29.
- December 14, 1906: A railroad project is incorporated under the laws of the state of Washington November 27. The incorporaters are headed by Jack Dalton. The route of the line commences at Haines Mission. The railroad renders accessible important and established placer camps along the Lynn canal, the Chilkat river, the Klenihi river and the Porcupine river.
- December 28, 1906: The government house in Dawson burns down December 26. The house was erected in 1901.
- January 18, 1907: A petition is filed to prime minister Wilfrid Laurier for the appointment of Mr. Lithgow as commissioner of the territory.
- February 8, 1907: The Guggenheims secure control of the railroad and steamer lines of the White Pass & Yukon Route company. The Star admits however that the "report has not been verified and is not credited at White Pass headquarters in Skagway".
- February 15, 1907: A masquerade skating carnival is held with great success in Whitehorse. The celebrations are followed by a grand ball.
- March 15, 1907: The Weekly Star prints "an excellent review" of Robert Service's recently published book "Songs of a Sourdough". For the paying teller of the Whitehorse branch of the Canadian Bank of Commerce this is the next step on the ladder to fame.
- March 22, 1907: Northern Pacific started work on a railroad line connecting Winnipeg and Dawson.
- April 5, 1907: Lower Yukon river Nenana Indians are threatened to be extinguished as an "unknown" disease affects the community. Yet, no white living in the area seem to have been attacked by the disease.
- May 10, 1907: William P. Grainger and Gilbert Joyce died in a shaft at the Copper King mine on May 9th when they were overcome by gas from a fire lit to thaw ice. It was Whitehorse's first mine disaster. Read the article here.
- May 10, 1907: The White Pass Hotel has undergone & wonderful transformation in the recent past due to the enterprise of Manager P. D. McMillan and the highly artistic skill of woodworkers, paperhangers, painters and decorators, traces of the delicate hands of artistic workmen being apparent in every room of the house.
- May 10, 1907: A big ice jam a short distance below Yukon Crossing early Tuesday morning caused the water to back up and overflow the banks of the river until it was nine feet deep in the roadhouse at that place. Three horses were drowned in the stable at the crossing, two of them being owned by the White Pass company and the other by Reynolds, the roadhouse keeper.
- May 24, 1907: A strike that places the Copper King mine in the top row of the list of local mining property was made Monday this week when a well defined ledge of copper in place, four feet wide and of unknown depth, was uncovered a short distance below the shaft in which Grainger and Joyce lost their lives two weeks ago yesterday.
- June 7, 1907: With the opening of Lake Laberge there is a direct waterway connection between Whitehorse and Dawson and the navigation season starts.
- June 7, 1907: Joe Hutton, one of the most popular business men in Dawson, died Monday, May 27th, of beart failure. He was one of the pioneers, proprietor of the celebrated Mug restaurant in Skagway during the Klondike rush, and later of the toen's Mondamin hotel. He went to Dawson in 1901, and had been in business there ever since.
- June 21, 1907: Vancouver jurist Alexander Henderson is named Governor/commissioner of the Yukon Territory on June 17.
- July 12, 1907: The world's biggest placer merger is perfected in Dawson June 25, whereby the Guggenheim interests takes over properties from A.N.C. Treadgold, Northwest Hydraulic company, and Yukon Consolidated Goldfields company, and other smaller companies. By the deal the Guggenheims absorbs all the placer properties in Klondike watershed. Hundreds of claims - Eldorado, Bonanza, Hunker, Bear - are included in the deal. It is estimated that the claims costs the company ten million dollars.
- July 19, 1907: Statistics show that there are 104 licensed saloons and bars in the Yukon.
- August 16, 1907: A road is built to the War Eagle mine, from a point on the Whitehorse-Dawson road. Supervising engineer is Sam McGee.
- August 23, 1907: The largest single order for general groceries ever placed on the West coast is received by a Vancouver firm from the Guggenheims. The order calls for the supplying of 500 tons of general provisions-for immediate shipment to Dawson.
- September 6, 1907: Inspector Fitz Horrigan, R.N.W.M.P., is transferred from Whitehorse to Dawson.
- September 27, 1907: Boronite City is the name of a new town at the mouth of Williams Creek, on the Yukon River between Dawson and Whitehorse. An extensive copper ore body has been located in the area. The new town has between 15 and 20 inhabitants.
- October 4, 1907: The Yukon Council urges the building of a spur at Whitehorse to tap certain copper mine. Construction of the railroad spur is underway as of October 25.
- November 1, 1907: Pauline is the last steamer of the season.
- November 1, 1907: Prince Rupert's first born child is a Japanese girl.
- November 8, 1907: A book about "Soapy" Smith and the history of his tragic death at Skagway in 1898 is published.
- January 3, 1908: Merchant Isaac Taylor celebrated the last day of the old year by moving his family into their new home which has just been completed by him at the corner of Elliott street and Second avenue, and which is among the most attractive homes in Whitehorse.
- January 3, 1908: Corporal Andreason and Constable Brewster arrived Monday evening from Livingstone where they are stationed at the R.N.W.M.P. post. They came in with a team and report the trail in fairly good condition. They say more people are employed on Livingstone and adjoining creeks this winter than during any previous year at the same season.
- January 17, 1908: Assistant Gold Commissioner RC. Miller and Ole Dixon walked all the way to Takhini hot springs. They both express the belief that the springs will, when accommodations are supplied, be very popular as a resort for people with feet, rheumatics and all complaints of like nature.
- March 6, 1908: The masquerade skating carnival followed by a grand ball on February 28, 1908 attracts a big crowd.
- May 15, 1908: The first of Stewart River gold dredges is underway. William Ogilvie, head of the Yukon Gold Basin Gold Dredging Company Ltd., supervises the installation. The dredge is launched into the waters of the Stewart River on June 15.
- August 7, 1908: That Leon Sochia, the man who claimed he was held up by masked men
and robbed of $450 on the railroad track gear Pennington while mushing to the outside about June 20th, was a liar of the first magnitude, the police are now firmly convinced.
In talking to the chief of police at his home in Everett, Wash., the story appears to have been concocted to allow him to get away with several hundred dollars he had been entrusted with.
- August 7, 1908: Regardless of the precautions taken for the protection of game, two different parties bent on slaughter left here this week for the Pelly and McMillan countries. They are H. Von Bergen of Berlin, and Count Hoyos of Vienna, Austria.
- August 14, 1908: To dispel the rumours about why construction on the railway spur into the Whitehorse copper belt has been halted, W. P. & Y. R. President Samuel H. Graves has made a statment, part of which is: "The real and only cause of the suspension of work on the spur is this: The owners of mining property lying north of the Best Chance claim have declined to give ue any guarantee that they will ship ore from their properties
even after the track is laid to them and for us to put down our ties and rails to rot and rust from disuse would not be business."
- August 14, 1908: William Drury, lately returned from the Teslin store of Taylor & Drury, brought with him 10 grizzly pelts, most of them around 9 feet in length. With one exception, they were killed while in hibernation, by Indians.
- August 28, 1908: Mining Recorder L. T. Burwash and Mrs. Burwash will leave in the next few days to start an investigation into the best route for a highway into the White River country - from Whitehorse via Kluane, or from Dawson.
- September 4, 1908: Mrs. W. Robison has received and has now on display the finest consignment of Ladies Hats and Millinery ever brought to Whitehorse. Everything direct from Paris and is of the very latest styles.
- September 4, 1908: Four articles report on the activities of Colonel John Howard Conrad. He has purchased the Sunrise Group in the Wheaton country; his property at Porcupine, with a work force of 150 men, is doing very well; the new concentrator at the Venus mine will be completed within two weeks; and he, with a sister and her husband, have left Carcross to visit his Porcupine properties.
- September 4, 1908: the new gold dredge being operated on the Stewart River by the Yukon Basin Gold Dredging Company is doing very well, averaging a dollar per bucket, with 2,200 buckets per day being processed.
- September 11, 1908: It is a well known fact that Yukon has been the dumping grounds for undesirables ever since the first rush to the country the fall of 1897, but the law respecting undesirable immigrants is now being rigidly enforced at the Summit. Read the entire article here.
- September 18, 1908: A rich strike of high grade ore is made in the Wheaton country, on the property of Col. J.H. Conrad and known as "Sunrise Group".
- October 2, 1908: The pipe for the local water system arrived from Vancouver on Wednesday's train and within the next 24 hours it had been distributed along the streets
on which it will be laid - Front street from the Pioneer hotel to the BYN stables and Main street from Front to the NSAA hall.
- October 2, 1908: The editor visited Carcross last Saturday and found that place, not hilariously booming, but fully as lively as the town he left in the morning. Colonel Conrad is still there and wherever he is there are usually doings.
- October 2, 1908: C. Wynn-Johnson returned to Skagway today, taking with him the police launch, Jessie, which he bought and will ship to Vancouver for overhaul. The present machinery will be replaced by a 30-hp engine and its furnishings will be of the very finest. Mr. Wynn-Johnson will use it as a private launch.
- October 9, 1908: Work at the Arctic Chief mine is being steadily carried on. A new tunnel on a level 65 feet lower than the old tunnel is now in a distance of 323 feet and reveals a gigantic body of rich ore, the extent of which is practically incalculable.
- October 16, 1908: The Whitehorse-Carcross road, constructed under the supervision of Sam McGee, is finished.
- December 4, 1908: The Commercial Hotel was badly damaged by fire and water on December 2. Chief Hume and his men did heroic work but the fire was one of the ugliest in local history owing to the fact that it was practically inaccessable until holes were cut through the iron with which the entire building is encased, and not until thousands of gallons of water had been thrown into the building was the vital spot reached.
- December 4, 1908: Of all the mining operations now being carried on in the Windy Arm country, the workings of the concentrator recently installed are of the greatest. It is situated on the west side of the arm about three miles south of Conrad and immediately below the tunnel whieh enters the Venus mine, probably the most valuable single mine in the entire North, its values consisting of gold, silver and lead, silver predominating.
- December 25, 1908: Staff Sargeant O. W. Evans, accompanied by "Shorty" Austin, arrived in town Saturday evening, having driven over the new government road from Carcross where the former has charge of the Royal N. W. M. P. station. They returned Weduveday morning.
- December 25, 1908: Word has reached here from Conrad that a four horse team belonging to the Yukon District Gold Mining Company was on the way over the lake to Carcross with 70 sacks of concentrates when the ice gave way and everything went to the bottom of the lake except the driver. The horses and sled broke through the ice and sank in water estimated to be 1000 feet deep just off the mouth of Pooley canyon, the driver Jimmy Shaw, barely escaping with his life after standing for some time on a cake of ice only six feet square. The horses first broke through, dragging the sleigh after them. The ice was fully seven inches thick and was supposed to be perfectly safe. The loss to the company is estimated at $1800.
- December 25, 1908: That triple hanging at New Westminster was pulled off on schedule last Friday when two negroes and a Chinese were launched into eternity by Hangman Radcliffe. It was the first triple hanging to ever take place in Canada.
- January 15, 1909: "Big Alex" McDonald, who for many years in the early history of the Yukon bore the name "Klondike King", drops dead while at work on Clear creek on January 8.
- January 29, 1909: Hana Livingstone, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Livingstone, is married to Williard L. Phelps.
- February 5, 1909: In response to a letter from George Black threatening to sue, The Star publishes an apology, ending with this: "Anyhow, the editor of the Star apologizes and retracts and hereby requests his readers to expunge, wipe out from
the blackboards or their think tanks, the 'Libelous and Criminal”'statements contained in the issue of 'Said Newspaper. of the 15th of January. Angels could do no more. Repentantly but Lovingly yours, E. J. WHITE, Editor Weekly Star. Subscription $5 per year in advance."
- February 5, 1909: William MacDonald, known more familiarly as "Black Bill," foreman of the "big Thing" mine, has become the fortunate possessor of a fine black fox. It is said to be a beautiful specimen, jet black and without a flaw.
- February 5, 1909: Just as he was boarding the Jefferson to depart for Skagway via Dawson, Percy Overton, a wealthy mine owner at Dawson, was placed under arrest by the Seattle police last night on a warrant sworn to by his wife, charging bim with desertion. Mrs. Overton accompanied the officers when they made the arrest.
- March 26, 1909: A party of four who will prospect the Hootalinqua river with a view of installing dredges, is here and will leave for the scene of future operations soon. The same company had men on the river last season and the work done was very encouraging. Whitehorse is yet destined to become the greatest dredge building point in the North.
- April 16, 1909: A season of extraordinary heavy travel from the Yukon and Alaska is expected by transportation men to start early in the summer, the attraction being the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific fair at Seattle, and the cheap round trip rates which are to be put into effect by the White Pass & Yukon route and connecting steamship lines. From Dawson to Seattle and return the excursion rate will be $140, which is a reduction of $40 on the regular fare; the return rate from Atlin and Whiteherse to Seattle will be $80, a reduction of $20.
- May 7, 1909: Herman W. Vance, the well known mining man of Conrad, has resigned the position of general manager of the Venus mine and concentrator and will devote his time to the management of operations at the Big Thing mine in which he is an owner.
- May 7, 1909: J. P. Rogers, formerly superintendent of the White Pass and Yukon railroad, has been appointed superintendent of the Spokane, Portland & Seattle branch of the O. R. & N. railroad, with headquarters at Vancouver, Wash.
- May 21, 1909: W.S. McGee leaves the territory and moves to Saskatchewan.
- June 4, 1909: The first fatality of the season on the river has been recorded, the police having received word of the death by drowning at Five Finger in the Yukon river Tuesday morning of Edward Hanbridge and William Harvey.
- July 2, 1909: Robert Lowe and Williard L. Phelps win the June 28 elections for Yukon council for the Whitehorse district, defeating Mr. Campbell.
- July 23, 1909: 3 p.m. on July 15 marks an epoch in the history of Yukon territory: the first all-elective Yukon council is assembled at that hour, with all members present. The members are, Charles Bossnyt, A.W.H. Smith, James William Murphy, Angus Mcleod, Roderick Leander Ashbaugh, Frank McAlpine, Robert Lowe, Williard L. Phelps.
- July 23, 1909: The Yukon government pays for the shipment of 120 men out of Dawson as a measurement to lower the unemployment rate.
- August 13, 1909: The Governor General Earl Grey pays a short visit to Whitehorse while enroute from Ottawa to Dawson.
- September 17, 1909: The work of marking the boundary line between Alaska and the Yukon Territory in White River country is completed.
- October 8, 1909: The Board of Trade names its officers for the ensuing years. President is W.C. Pedlar with W.A. Puckett as vice-president.
- October 29, 1909: The independent steamer LaFrance is the season's last steamer out from Dawson.
- October 29, 1909: Mail Route Supt. Herb. Wheeler started out men and teams Wednesday morning with lumber for a new roadhouse which will be erected at Braeburn, the owner of the present house at that place having decided to not open it this season. As Braeburn is one of the regular posts on the winter trail, it is necessary that a roadhouse be operated at that place.
- November 5, 1909: George Matheson, well known here where he lived most of the time for the past several years, was found dead in his canoe on Tagish bar one mile below
Carcross shortly after noon Monday. It is felt he fell in the water while pushing his boat off the bar, then died of exposure.
- November 5, 1909: Anxiety about Bishop Stringer's fate is felt as the last steamer from the Yukon river reaches Dawson in October without a word about the bishop's whereabouts. He is long overdue from a visit to Herschel Island.
- November 12, 1909: The rate war on steamers plying between lower coast points and Southeastern Alaska ports is still on, the rate from Skagway to Vancouver and Seattle being firm at $12.50 per capita and freight is still moving at $5 per ton.
- December 3, 1909: The case of miner and trapper Michael McMurray, at present a patient in the General hospital at this place where be is being treated for decaying fingers, the result of freezing, is almost without parallel in the annals of history aside from the wonderful and famous case of Robinson Crusoe. Read the entire article here.
- December 3, 1909: Zebediah, the young moose whose history graces the pages of the local police court docket, is no more. He had been captured by the crew of the Casca last July. They had planned to sell him to a zoo, but there are laws against that, and they ended up in court. He met his end in the BYN pasture when he fell and broke his jaw. A 30.30 ended his life, and he was shared around town.
- December 3, 1909: Both the local teachers, Principal Norman E. Carruthers and primary teacher Miss Ellen M. Kempton, have within the past week wired their respective resignations to Territorial Superintendent Bragg at Dawson, their resignations to take effect immediately after the Christmas holidays. As the salary of the principal is $200 and that of the primary teacher $150 per month, it is not at all likely that any difficulty will be experienced in filling their positions.
- December 10, 1909: Bishop Stringer, long overdue from a visit made to Herschel island in the Arctic ocean last summer, has been heard from. Tuesday of this week Major Snyder received a wire from Captain Wroughton, officer in command of the Royal N.W.M.P. at Dawson, stating that Indians had arrived there from the lower river and reported the bishop as being at Fort Yukon on his way from Fort Macpherson to Dawson.
- December 10, 1909: Full Stage Load. Twelve Passengers Arrive from Dawson Tuesday Night. (The first word in the head of this article applies to the stage and not to
- December 10, 1909: The remains of Mrs. Gamble, wife of Samuel Gamble, who died last summer on Burwash creek where they were engaged in mining, were brought to town Saturday evening by Mr. Gamble and Richard Fullerton. The trip in from Burwash was made by dog team. The remains were laid to rest in the Whitehorse cemetery Tuesday afternoon.
- December 17, 1909: As nearly half the children of the school are sick either from bad colds or whooping cough, it was decided to close the fall term of echool yesterday instead of next Wednesday, the date formerly named.
- December 17, 1909: With the advent of mild weather the fore part of the week Contractor Eli Hume put all the available men in town at work on a new curling rink and the result is that the structure is up, covered with tarpaulin and ready for flooding. The enclosure which was erected just east of the tennis court, is 150 feet long by 18 feet wide.
- December 17, 1909: A week ago yesterday morning the temperature at this place was 56 degrees below zero. Yesterday morning it was 40 degrees above zero, a change in the week of 96 degrees.
- December 24, 1909: Colonel J. H. Conrad recently met Robert Smart in Seattle, and informed him of his recent success in the eastern money market in securing what he needed for the development of his various Southern Yukon properties. He has
eecured the sum of $300,000 for the Big Thing group of mines, $100,000 for the Venus, $60,00 for developing the Fleming & Dale properties now known as the Empire Group, and $160,000 for his Porcupine property.
- December 24, 1909: C. M. "Pop" Kelley who is employed by Robert Lowe as a teamster, had a narrow escape while coming into town with a load of wood on Tuesday. As it was, a mare valued at about $250 was killed. After freeing the sled from a stump it had caught on, it ran away down the hill and crushed the horse's head against a tree.
- December 24, 1909: Herbert Wheeler, Supt. of the winter mail service, returned Sunday from a trip over the trail to Dawson. He found everything in good shape except for innumerable glaciers which are forming on the Dawson end, especially in the locality of the old Humes road house where there are several glaciers as much as a quarter of a mile in length.
- December 31, 1909: Rev. H. A Cody with his wife and little son bid goodbye to Whitehorse yesterday morning and left for Skagway en route to their new home at St. John, New Brunswick.
- December 31, 1909: At 8:10 p.m. on Christmas Eve, fire was discovered in the attic of the Caribou Hotel at Carcross and as there is no fire protection there all the buildings in that immediate vicinity were smouldering ruins within one hour. The Caribou Hotel and Frank McPhee's general merchandise store in it, the railroad depot and Customs house, and George Fickhard's grocery store were all wiped off the face of the earth.
- December 31, 1909: Dr. J. P. Cade with his wife and baby, will leave this morning for Prince Rupert where they will probably locate and where the former will engage in the practice of his profession, Dr. Cade has been in Whitehorse for the past three and a half years during which time he has been hospital physician and conducted a general practice.
Continue to January 1910