The original village of Kashukugniut was occupied by Russians in the early 19th century. The community was a sea otter hunting settlement, located at Humpy Cove. The name Akhiok was reported in the 1880 Census. In 1881, residents relocated to the present site at Alitak Bay. A post office was established in 1933, and remained open until 1945.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development