The History of Eek
Eek lies on the south bank of the Eek River, 12 miles east of the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. It is 35 air miles south of Bethel in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, and 420 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 60° 13' N Latitude, 162° 01' W Longitude (Sec. 31, T002N, R073W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 1 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
The village was originally located on the Apokok River, and moved to its present location in the 1930s. Constant flooding and erosion forced a relocation. A BIA school and a Moravian Church were constructed at the new site. A post office was established in 1949.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development