The village was first reported in 1844 by Lt. L.A. Zagoskin of the Russian Navy as the Eskimo village or camp "Aunguamut." In 1897, the North American Transportation & Trading Company established a supply post and riverboat landing here. The village was named for Charles H. Hamilton, assistant manager of the company. It has also been known as Fort Hamilton and Old Hamilton.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development