During the mid to late 1700s, the Haida Indians migrated to Prince of Wales, a predominantly Tlingit area, from Graham Island in the Queen Charlotte Islands, Canada. In 1911, three Haida villages combined at the present site (Sukkwan, Howkan and Klinkwan) for their children to attend school; it was designated as the Hydaburg Indian Reservation in 1912. The new village established a trading company, store and sawmill. However, the villagers were never comfortable with the arrangement, and at their request in 1926, the land was restored to its former status as part of the Tongass National Forest. 189 acres of the land were reserved for the school and townsite disposals. The first fish processing plant opened in 1927, and three other canneries operated through the 1930s. When the Indian Reorganization Act (IRA) was amended in 1936 to include Alaska Natives, Hydaburg became the first village in Alaska to form an IRA Council.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development