Kanatak was first listed as a Native village in the Census of 1890, having a population of 26. Because of oil drilling activity in the 1930s, its population increased to 134 in 1940. It has a post office from 1922 to 1943, and from 1946 to 1954. When this activity ceased in the 1950s, the village was abandoned.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development