Yup'ik Eskimos and Athabascan Indians have jointly occupied the area for the past 6,000 years. The late 1800s first brought an influx of non-Native fishermen and cannery operations. A flu epidemic in 1918 was tragic to the Native population. Reindeer were introduced to assist the survivors, but the experiment eventually failed. During World War II Fort Morrow was built at Port Heiden. The Borough was incorporated in 1989.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development