Manokotak is one of the newer villages in the Bristol Bay region. It became a permanent settlement in 1946-47 with the consolidation of the villages of Igushik and Tuklung. People also migrated from Kulukak, Togiak and Aleknagik. Igushik is now used as a summer fish camp by many of the residents of Manokotak. School was conducted in a church constructed in 1949. A school was built in 1958-59. A post office was established in 1960. Trapping has been an attractive lure to the area, although it has declined since the 1960s.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development