Perryville was founded in 1912 as a refuge for Aleut people driven away from their villages by the eruption of Mt. Katmai. Many villagers from Douglas and Katmai survived the eruption because they were out fishing at the time. Captain Perry of the ship "Manning" transported people from the Katmai area to Ivanof Bay, and later, to the new village site. The village was originally called "Perry," but the "ville" was added to conform to the post office name, established in 1930.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development