A U.S. Army Signal Corps telegraph station, post office and general store were established here in 1902. The Tonsina Lodge was built in 1903 along the Valdez-Eagle Trail; it burned in 1928. The Tiekel Lodge and Tsaina Lodge were also built in this area. Development began during the oil era. Pump Station 12 was constructed nearby to move oil over Thompsen Pass to the pipeline terminal in Valdez.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development