It was an Aleut village first reported as "Delarov" in 1833, with a population of 116, and then as "Ougnagok" in 1836. The "Ounga" post office was established in 1888, and changed its name to Unga in 1894. The post office closed in 1958.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development