ExploreNorth, your resource center for exploring the circumpolar North

Return to the Home Page The ExploreNorth Blog About ExploreNorth Contact ExploreNorth

Search ExploreNorth

The history of Whitehorse hotels and motels, 1942-today

by Murray Lundberg

The history of Whitehorse, Yukon

Originally posted on October 14, 2018. Most recent revision was on November 9, 2021.

    In 2019, there are 19 hotels and motels operating in Whitehorse. This article about all of the hotels that have existed in the city since 1942 began in October 2018 as an attempt to compile the information about hotels being posted in the Yukon History & Abandoned Places group on Facebook into a more useful form. To the information in those posts and comments, I have added information and photos from my own files.

    Some of today's hotels sit on sites where hotels have existed since the city's founding, and the information posted below goes right back to the earliest hotel on those sites.

    The hotels are listed in alphabetical order by today's name, followed by other names. The listing "Best Western Gold Rush Inn < Gold Rush Inn < Ben-Elle Motel" means that the hotel began as the Ben-Elle Motel, was re-named the Gold Rush Inn, then joined Best Western to become the Best Western Gold Rush Inn of today. You can also go directly to a listing using this list of all names:

The 98 Hotel
- 110 Wood Street
Wednesday, October 27, 1943, was the Grand Opening of the "98" Ballroom. "Dancing Every Night (except Sundays) 9.00 p.m. to 12. Excellent Floor, First-class Orchestra. For the benefit of your dancing pleasure. COUPLES ONLY ADMITTED (No gentlemen will be admitted without a lady). For information, Harold Dennison, Phone 2651."
- Yukon Archives photo 98/134 #477 indicates that a building was moved to the site. It is a one-storey frame structure with a false front. The various exterior finishes include wood siding and stucco. It also has an asphalt roll roof. There have been numerous interior additions including an annex to east side of building.
- on June 1, 1951, a cocktail lounge was opened in the '98 Hotel.
- ad in The Milepost, 1952 edition: "The '98 Hotel, just two blocks from the center of Whitehorse, with new and modern rooms. There is hot and cold water in all rooms, and convenient separate shower baths. The '98 features the only American-style cocktail lounge in the Yukon, serving your favorite beverages. Operated by Swanson and Lunde."
- on March 21, 1952, the '98 Hotel, owned by Harold Dennison, Bob Swanson, and Bill Lunde, was sold to Henning Madsen of Yellowknife.
- ad in The Milepost, 1954 edition: "The '98 Hotel and the '98 Cocktail Lounge (AHA), two blocks from the center of Whitehorse with new modernly furnished rooms with hot and cold water in each room, and convenient separate shower baths at rates of from $4.00 up. The "98" cocktail lounge is modeled on similar up-to-date establishments in the U.S. with bar or table service, and is attractively decorated with trophies and exhibits of the wildlife of the Yukon Territory. All visitors are cordially invited to drop in and view the premises. The owners and operators Louise and Henning Madsen, address: Box 154, Whitehorse, Y.T., Canada."
- it was turned into a roller-skating rink for a few years, perhaps in the late 1940s.
- Cal Miller was the early bar manager.
- in the 1960s, the cocktail lounge was the Rainbow Room, and featured 2 drinks named after airlines serving Whitehorse, the PanAm (1 oz. rum, pineapple juice, soda water) and the C.P.A. Special (1 oz. rye and a dash of grenadine).
- in July 2010, Jim Robb said: "At one time, when Ernie Armitage was the owner, it had a very valuable rifle collection. Some of them, I believe, were bought from one or more old Dawson City-area estates. The owners of the 98 Hotel through the years were mostly interesting and unique individuals as well. I have many memories of the place. In the '50s I spent many an hour at the bar playing B.S. poker with Swede Blomberg and others, having a great time."
- hotel owner Ernie Armitage, his wife Sophie, and son Rod were all living in Kelowna, BC, in July 2010. Rod Armitage said he "was practically born and raised at the 98."
- in 2005, owned by city councillor Mel Stehelin, charged with breaking the city's smoking bylaw. See
Whitehorse Star article. Brian Santa, who was caught smoking in the 98 on December 2nd, became the first person convicted in territorial court for smoking in a Whitehorse bar.
- called "The Breakfast Club" because it opens early. Due to liquor regulations, it also closes early.
- Barney Roberge was the manager from about 1982 until he died in August 2012 - see a Yukon News article.
- Web site (Facebook page): https://www.facebook.com/98Hotel/

The 98 Hotel, ca. 1970s

The 98 Hotel, March 2012

The Breakfast Club sign, March 2012

The 98 Hotel, October 2018

Airport Chalet
- 91634 Alaska Highway
- May 20, 1969: "Angus Peterson of Vancouver was in Whitehorse last week consulting with Norm Chamberlist...he represents Arbutus, Buscombe, and Cassidy, a firm which specializes in providing all furnishings and equipments for hotels...the Whitehorse man is busy with plans for his new Airport Motel opposite the entrance to the local airport, converted from former RCAF buildings."
- August 29, 1969: Airport Chalet officially opens as Whitehorse's newest hotel accommodation. Built by Norm and Micky Chamberlist, who also owned the Normic Hotel, it had 22 rooms, a cocktail lounge ("The Briefing Room"), a 26-seat coffee shop ("The Hangar") which opened 10 days later, and a 32-seat dining room. About 1,200 people attended the Open House.
- June 11, 1970: "Norm's Ready For Election.
    Norman S. Chamberlist has sold his interest in Chamco Enterprises, which own and operate the Airport Chalet. The transaction was effective June 5, the Whitehorse East member of Territorial Council told The Star. Other partners in Chamco purchased his interest. Mr. Chamberlist recently sold the Normic Hotel in downtown Whitehorse, and has only the Yukon Surplus company on his hands at the moment.
    Councillor Chamberlist said he has sufficient income now to devote full time to territorial interests and will definitely be a candidate in the September election." (Whitehorse Star)
- June 15, 1973, Marj and Nelson Lewis have taken over the restaurant and dining room, and the famous Polar Burger first appears in an ad.
- October 31, 1976, the restaurant was closed until November 4 for redecorating. Manageress was Bath MacAuley.
- in 2013, the Yukon government commissioned a study about upgrading the some sections of the Alaska Highway that run through the city. When the report came out in March 2015, it was clear that it was going to be a problem for the Airport Chalet. D'arcy Olynyk, co-owner of the hotel, told
CBC "This building, this structure, is in their planned use of space. Which means I'll have to knock down the building." In November 2019, changes to the design have not reduced the hotel's problems (see article).
- Web site: http://www.airportchalet.com

Airport Chalet ad, May 15, 1969

Airport Chalet ad, June 29, 1970

Airport Chalet ad, June 15, 1973

Airport Chalet ad, 2003

Airport Chalet, January 2015

The motel block of the Airport Chalet, October 2018

Alpine Motel
- located on Rogers Street east of 2nd Avenue, where the Yukon Legislative Building parking lot is now.
- August 30, 1956: "Partners Build New Hotel In Spare Time. The Alpine Hotel at 204 Rogers Street is an experiment for both Whitehorse and its owner, Max Fuerstner and Sargio Clinaz who started building 13 months ago and only work on it in their spare time. Fuerstner is employed at Taylor & Drury and Clinaz is at the Post Office. The building is arranged like a hotel, has a community kitchen and laundry facilities, and also boasts hot water heating with baseboard radiators( an innovation for northern hotels)." (Whitehorse Star)
- 1959, an application for a liquor licence was rejected because there are already too many in Whitehorse.
- November 19, 1962: "The Alpine has completed construction of a sumptuous new addition in South Seas Style to accomodate the proposed lounge and cabaret, scheduled to be named the Bamboo Room." Another application for a liquor licence by proprietor Max Fuerstner is being fought because there are 26 licencees in a community with only 4,000 people eligible to drink, and the Alpine may not meet the licence requirements. The licence was granted on November 21st, however. (Whitehorse Star)
- March 14, 1963, Alpine Hotels (Yukon) Limited was incorporated.
- March 14, 1963, Franz Bertold Doll applies for a liquor licence for the Bamboo Lounge.
- August 8, 1963, the Bamboo Dining Room opens under the management of James Wong. It will be open from 5 pm until 4 am. "Up to now, the rooms in the basement of the hotel had been used for storage and small kitchen for the cabaret. Up to 100 persons can be served in the two brightly-colored dining rooms, The smaller of the two rooms is available for small parties." Mr. Wong said he is not looking for the coffee trade. (Whitehorse Star)
- August 8, 1963, the Bamboo Dining Room now is looking for the coffee trade, and is open from noon until 4 am every day but Sunday.
- September 12, 1963: "Three lads who are employed within Camp Takhini have combined their talents to form a new musical group in Whitehorse. Ron Shortt and Cec Macarthur of 14 Coy RCOC and Ken Eastman of HME are now specializing with honky tonk and Dixieland music three nights a week at the Bamboo room." (Whitehorse Star)
- October 17, 1963, the Bamboo Dining Room is now open from 4:30 pm until 2:30 am and has a midnight Chinese smorgasbord.
- November 21, 1963, the Bamboo Cabaret has a band 6 nights a week - the Swingmasters Monday-Wednesdays, and the Ron Short Combo Thursday-Saturdays. A week later, the ad has the Swingmasters 7 nights a week.
- December 13, 1963, the Bamboo Dining Room opens under new management, specializing in chicken in a basket, and steaks, open 6 pm - 3 am.
- May 28, 1964: "...just a reminder to all you kids about the Bamboo Dining Room if you don't already know about it. It has extended a welcome to all young people and prices are reasonably low. Let's give them some business and show that we appreciate this." (Whitehorse Star, "Teen Town Topics")
- July 9, 1964: "I don't know what Franky Hughes is putting in his drinks down there at the Bamboo room but whatever it is, if he's giving it it to his gals fastball team it's working. They've won five of their six games played so far."
- June 17, 1968: "Dropped into the Bamboo Lounge for a little get together with some new-found friends and man alive does that place go! That group they have there (did not catch their names) — is certainly a compliment to music. Too bad the dance floor is so small but it sure makes for a cosy evening, Best of luck to the new management. You have a gold mine in the sky with that club." (Bill Fitzpatrick, in Whitehorse Star)
- June 12, 1969: "City firefighters were called to the Bamboo Lounge about 11:40 Monday night to check on a report of smoke coming from the men's washroom. A fire spokesman said someone had apparently lit a small fire in the washroom and then dumped it into the toilet in an attompt to extinguish it. Customers in the adjoining bar were not even disturbed by the smoke. No damage resulted." (Whitehorse Star)
- 1969, the regular band at the Bamboo was "Us", with featured singer Billy Taylor (who used to be a boxer).
- through the 1960s and early '70s, the Bamboo and Alpine appeared often in court reports in The Star for various theft, assault, liquor, and disturbance charges.
- January 5, 1970, country band "Carl Peek & The Echo" are appearing at the Bamboo Lounge for 2 weeks only.
- March 30, 1970: Max Fuerstner applied for a permit to install 5 self-contained, one room apartments in the basement of fhe Alpine Hotel. He was refused, because no living quarters are supposed to be more than four feet underground.
- March 30, 1972: A total of 14 properties, owned by 10 individuals or groups, will have to be expropriated by the territorial government for the new Capital building (the Yukon Legislative Building). The property owned by the Alpine Hotel and Bamboo Lounge has been appraised at $250,000. Max Fuerstner refused to accept that offer. On November 27th, it was reported that he accepted the offer of an additional $10,245.90.
- May 19, 1972, Max and Polvi ran a full-page ad announcing that the Alpine Hotel and Bamboo Lounge were now closed, and thanking people for their patronage since 1956. The Alpine Hotel is being moved to a new location. (Whitehorse Star).
- July 12, 1972: "The former Alpine Hotel which used to be on the land now expropriated for the Capitol Building, has been moved to a new site on Block G Lot 19 near the South Access road [roughly 5th & Drury]. It will be used as an apartment building by its owner Omero "Sam" de Lorenzo."
- ca. 1972, although not confirmed, the Bamboo Lounge may have been moved to a new location near the Airport Chalet, opening as the Bamboo Inn, which was mentioned in The Star of October 1, 1973.
- September 23, 1974, Alpine Hotels (Yukon) Limited was struck from the Register of Joint Stock Companies.
- November 29, 1974, the 30x54-foot building that housed The Bamboo Lounge, was moved to a lot beside the Fort Yukon Hotel by new owner Jeff Lattin. It opened in March 1977 with the old name Bamboo Lounge & Cabaret, but in February 1985 became The Roadhouse. A photo of it on the truck at its new location was published on December 4.

Alpine Hotel and Bamboo Room, February 28, 1963

Aerial photo of the Alpine Motel, 1963

Bamboo Dining Room, August 19, 1963

Alpine Hotels and Bamboo Cabaret Lounge, July 7, 1966

The former Alpine Hotel on July 12, 1972.

The former Bamboo Lounge on November 29, 1974.

Baranov Motel
- located at the corner of Rogers Street and 2nd Avenue, where the Yukon Legislative Building parking lot is now. The Bamboo Lounge was beside it on Rogers.
- March 30, 1972: A total of 14 properties, owned by 10 individuals or groups, will have to be expropriated by the territorial government for the new Capital building. Five properties owned by Baranoy Motels Ltd, have been valued at a total of $287,900.

Aerial photo of the Baranov Motel, 1963

Baranov Motel, June 22, 1967

Best Western Gold Rush Inn < Gold Rush Inn < Ben-Elle Motel
- 411 Main St
- built in 1965 by Stan and May Bendera. It had 22 rooms. The "Ben" is from Stan's surname, the "Elle" from his mother's name, May Ellen.
- January 6, 1967, Ben-Elle Enterprises, Ltd., is incorporated to take over the business operated by Stanley Bendera.
- Ben-Elle Motel postcard, ca. 1972. "Fully modern accommodation - Television and Large Family units - Telephones in all units."
- an article about construction going on in Whitehorse, published on October 26, 1973, The Whitehorse Star said "The Ben Elle Hotel extension has a long way to go as the foundation has not yet been finished. General Enterprises is the general contractor. The extension is to contain a swimming pool and a bar." The pool was apparently not built, though.
- October 1978, Stan and May Bendera sold the Ben-Elle to Josh F. Van Vugt and Douglas R. Thomas. Victor R. Tubman is appointed General Manager.
- 1978-2006, owned by Doug Thomas.
- Ben-Elle postcard ca. 1978: "One of the Yukon's favourite hotels, the Ben-Elle is centrally located at 411 Main St., Whitehorse. Deluxe guest rooms include colour TV, bath, and telephone. The fully licensed CASCA dining room offers superb cuisine for your dining pleasure. Later, you'll enjoy relaxing in the popular EMBERS lounge. Phone (403) 667-2577 Telex 036-8-230"
- on April 22, 1983, The Whitehorse Star reported: "The Ben-Elle made improvements to the exterior of the motel last year, reflecting a historical flavor. Other work improvements have been done inside and more work is scheduled for this year." As a result, they received tentative approval for a $5,000 grant from the City.
- in 1983, Doug Thomas changed the name from Ben-Elle to Gold Rush Inn.
- in 1989 there was a jeweller in the basement.
- May 2006, Doug Thomas sells the Gold Rush Inn to a group of Yukon and Alberta investors, Northern Vision Development.
- Web site:

Ben-Elle Motel ad, August 14, 1974

Ben-Elle Motel, ca. 1972

Casca Dining Room ad, May 5, 1976

Ben-Elle Motel, ca. 1978

Main Street ca. 1978 - Ben-Elle and Taku on the right

Ben-Elle Motel room key, n.d.

Best Western Gold Rush Inn, October 2018

Bonanza Inn < Taku Hotel
- 4th Avenue at Main Street
- opened August 9, 1956. "New Taku Hotel Has Many Modern Features. The finest and most modern hotel in the north officially opens tomorrow; boasting twenty-eight rooms, all with bath and telephone, coffee shop and the Taku Bar."
- ad in The Milepost, 1957 edition: "Taku Hotel, Newest in Whitehorse. Fourth & Main St. Phones: 5454, 5464, & 5474. A Completely New & Modern Opened August, 1956. All Rooms with Bath and Telephone. Room Service Available. Dining Facilities - For Fine Foods - Ultra-modern Coffee Shop. Cocktail Lounge with a Friendly North-Country Atmosphere."
- ca. 1966, one of the investors was Tippy Mah, who sold his share in 1976 to build the Town & Mountain Hotel across the street.
- November 16, 1967: "Work is starting immediately on the construction of the addition to the Taku Hotel on Main Street.
With the completion of the main floor of the addition to Hougen's department store and subsequent moving of the hardware department, work crews started demolishing the building adjacent to the Taku Hotel. The land will be cleared for the construction of the hotel addition, to be built by General Enterprises Ltd.
The structure will have a full concrete basement and three storeys to match the present hotel at Fourth and Main. Additional floor space totals 13,300 square feet, not counting the basement.
It will add 29 new units, complete with bathrooms, to the existing 26, bringing the total to 55 rooms in the hotel, Estimated cost, including furnishings , is $300,000.
A light-well will separate the two new top floors from windows presently facing east.
It is just the latest project of owners Howie Brunlees and his Yukon-born wife, Evelyn. Years ago they operated the Yukon Ivory Shop on Main Street at the present site of Simpson-Sears. When the Taku was built, they moved the gift shop to the hotel lobby and recently moved it again to premises in the Inn, Mr. Brunlees said today that he hoped the new addition to the hotel would be completed by early spring.
The building presently being torn down was at one time a bowling alley, made from a war assets building." (The Whitehorse Star)
- Smitty's Pancake House was in the hotel in 1977-78.
- The Discovery Bar
- a.k.a. the "Attack You" after the cook, James Collins, fatally stabbed a coffee shop customer, Claude Aube, who complained about the food on June 1, 1982.
- The first ad in The Star announcing the name change from Taku Hotel to Bonanza Inn was published on June 8, 1995.
- 1997, Bonanza Steak House
- sold in 2007 for $776,891. Yen Ngoc Tran (a.k.a. Kathy Tran) owned 75% of the shares in the hotel, and in 2017 she was convicted of tax fraud, with that sale part of the reason - see
Whitehorse Star article.
- "Last dance at the Taku", June 2007 - see Yukon News article.
- 3-minute video

Taku Hotel (lower centre), ca. 1959

Taku Hotel matchbooks, n.d.

Taku Hotel becomes Bonanza Inn, June 8, 1995

Bonanza Inn, April 1997

Capital Hotel
- 103 Main Street
- From a 1998 article by Chris Beacom: "In Aug. 1941, Richard and Ivy White purchased Lot 16 and added a back area to the original structure. The still-standing bar room was added on with a lounge and 14 rooms. The beauty parlour / barber shop / hardware shack finally became the Capital Hotel." Read the entire article, "Hotel With A History,",
- on September 7, 1951, the Capital Hotel opened for business with the completion of the interior of their building at 103 Main Street.
- ad in The Milepost, 1954 edition: "The Capital Hotel (AHA), a new hostelry in the heart of Whitehorse, on the main street (right side entering town from the Alaska Highway) and convenient to all shopping and car servicing. Ten rooms with private baths, and all rooms with hot and cold water. General information is gladly supplied to travelers. Mr. and Mrs. Dick White are the owners and managers."
- ad in The Milepost, 1957 edition: "Capital Hotel, A New Hostelry - In the Heart of Whitehorse On Main St., right side entering town from Highway. Convenient to all shopping, cafes and car servicing. 26 Rooms - All with Bath. General Information Gladly Supplied to Travelers. Visit our unique new Cocktail Lounge - a meeting place for conviviality in a friendly atmosphere. Mr. & Mrs. Dick White - owners."
- November 7, 1957: "To all our friends whose company we enjoyed as patrons of the Capital Hotel and of the Starlight Lounge, we would like to say a warm 'Thank you' and a reluctant 'Farewell.' We hope you will continue to visit the Capital which now is under the care of Cal and Marty Miller, the new owners. We will always remember our happy associations and our many friends met and made during our years in Whitehorse. Dick and Ivy White."
- September 17, 1959: "Fine For Cal As Case Ends. Mr. Justice Sissons Friday levied a $200 fine against Cal Miller after a six-man jury found the local hotelman guilty of causing bodily harm. The charge fesulted from a shooting at the Capital hotel last August. The charge was reduced by the jury, from unlawfully discharging a firearm with intent to wound. In finding Cal guilty the jury made a strong recommendation tor leniency."
- Starlight Lounge
- In December 2001, Murray Lundberg photographed much of "the Cap" for owner Maurice Byblow, as part of building the hotel's first Web site. An album of 13 of those photos (and a lengthy discussion about the hotel) can be seen on Facebook. Kent Wilbern was head bartender at that time.

Capital Hotel postcard by Jim Robb, 1991

Capital Hotel, December 2001

Capital Hotel, December 2001

Capital Hotel, October 2018

Casa Loma Motel
- 1702 Centennial Street
- the Sportsman's Lounge was built by a group that included Jack Smith, Bill McLean, John Dumas, and Ken McKinnon. It was the first cabaret in the Whitehorse area under a new Liquor Ordinance.
- the bar was a.k.a "The Wax Museum"
- on June 13, 2018, a liquor licence was approved for 536467 Yukon Incorporated, operating as Cosmos Restaurant at the Casa Loma.

Casa Loma Motel, October 2018

JR's Neighbourhood Pub and
Sportsman's Lounge, October 2018

Chilkoot Trail Inn < Chilkoot Inn < Chilkoot Motel
- 4190 4th Avenue
- opened by Klaas Heynen as the Chilkoot Motel on July 30, 1960. "There are 17 rooms furnished with double beds and two double rooms, designed especially for travelling families. These have two double beds and private bath." Ten more rooms are planned for the basement.
- 1978 postcard: "Chilkoot Motel - Whitehorse, Yukon - providing thoroughly modern accommodation, television and phones. On 4th Ave. across from the new shopping centre."

Chilkoot Motel, 1978

Chilkoot Trail Inn, July 2016

Coast High Country Inn < High Country Inn < YWCA (Fourth Avenue Residence)
- 4051 4th Avenue
- tenders for construction of the four storey masonry building designed by Desmond J. Parker of Prince George opened on January 28, 1970. It had 20 apartment units with oil-fired hot water heating. The estimated value was $750,000 not counting the foundation.
- the YWCA was opened on November 14, 1971, by Mrs. Bette Zdan of Vancouver, who had instigated the project. "The four-storey 118-bed residence and program complex had an original mortgage of $952,000 at 6 7/8 per cent interest rate, and re-amortized to include the cost of furnishings - a total of $1,126,000 with monthly payments of $7,322." (The Vancouver Province, Jan. 16, 1975)
- for Sourdough Rendezvous 1973, a casino was opened in the YWCA, with blackjack tables and crown-and-anchor wheels, with a $5 bet limit.
- in January 1975, the only YWCA in Canada not receiving subsidies was in danger of closing. The Yukon government indicated that it might cover 50% of the current deficit if the federal government did the same.
- in 1977, the YWCA opened as a general hostel for the summer.
- Web site:

Fourth Avenue Residence, 1992

High Country Inn, 2003

Coast High Country Inn, January 2013

Coast High Country Inn, October 2018

Days Inn < Ramada < Westmark Klondike Inn < Klondike Inn < Sandman Motor Inn
- 2288 2nd Avenue
- April 24, 1972, Kermandie Enterprises applies for a licence to sell liquor at The Sandman Motor Inn.
- June 23, 1972: "NEW HOTEL PLANS. Work has begun on a new $1.5 million 30 room motel complex on Fourth Avenue in downtown Whitehorse.
Wayne Sandman of Whitehorse announced yesterday that construction had begun on the Sandman Motor Inn at the intersection of Fourth Avenue and Second Avenue extension.
Principles in the project are Wayne and Ken Sandman of Whitehorse, Floyd Breker of High Prairie, Alberta and Quinton Lodge of Fort St. James, B.C.
Mr. Breker will be joining the Sandmans in Whitehorse to be actively involved in the operation of the motor inn.
The 30 rooms would be equipped with colour televisions and queen sized beds, said a release issued by city hall.
The complex will also house a 175 seat specialty restaurant, coffee shop, tavern, cocktail lounge, men's and women's hairdressing shop and banquet facilities to accommodate in excess of 200 people.
The project is expected to be completed in time for opening during the 1973 Sourdough Rendezvous." (Whitehorse Star)
- July 10, 1972: a photo of a front-end loader and dump truck in The Whitehorse Star is captioned "Mervin L. Kungle, of Rollins Machinery Limited, in Vancouver, officially hands over the keys of the new Aveling-Barford front-end loader to Doug Gonder, of Gonder & Sons Construction. This machine, the first of its kind in the Yukon, has a capacity of 2½ yards, and is being used for the groundwork for the Sandman Hotel on the corner of 2nd and 4th."
- September 12, 1972, "Donald Joseph (Danny) McKinnon of Whitehorse was instantly killed yesterday in an industrial accident at the construction site of the Sandman Motel Hotel on 4th Ave and 2nd Ave extension. Mr. McKinnon (56) was employed as a carpenter by A and B Construction Go, which is building the hotel." A load of steel trusses had come loose off a crane, striking McKinnon on the head. A coroner's jury attached no blame.
- 1972: a photo in The Whitehorse Star showing the building under construction is captioned "The exterior of the restaurant-tavern-cocktail lounge portion (right) of the new Sandman motel at 2nd & 4th Sts. is almost complete, but the walls of the motel rooms haven't been enclosed yet. An addition (to the left of this picture) to the $887,000 complex will bring the Sandman motel up to 60 rooms."
- January 12, 1973: among the 12 queen candidates for Sourdough Rendezvous is 27-year-old Carol Nikkel (nee Edzerza), "who is Miss Galaxie Unisex (the hair dressing establishment which will go into the new Sandman hotel)." The hotel is scheduled to open February 19th.
- February 21, 1973, The Whitehorse Star had several ads congratulating the Sandman on their opening on February 22. Included was a full-page ad from A&B Construction of Nanaimo, general contractors for the project.
- February 22, 1973, the hotel opened with 42 guest rooms (18 doubles, 24 singles), The Inferno Lounge, Settlers Tavern, Captain Ross's Dining Room, The Coffee House, and The Rendezvous Room banquet hall.
- February 23, 1973, a large ad in The Whitehorse Star by Hougen's, "suppliers of Electrohome colour television to thew Sandman Motor Inn".
- February 23-25, 1973, Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken fame stayed at the Sandman during his visit to Whitehorse.
- on August 28, 1973, a new hairstyling shop in the Sandman Motor Inn, Galaxy Hair Shaft, operated by Mrs. R. Chapdelaine, was advertising in Vancouver newspapers for help.
- Floyd Brecker and Ken Mandrusiak owned The Klondike Inn. An Alberta Hotel Association newsletter in 2007 said "In 1975, Ken partnered with his brother to operate hotels in Whitehorse, YT, Prince George and Terrace, BC."
- in the fall of 1978, a group inquired about buying the Klondike Inn, with plans to turn it into a casino. The hotel was closed in the winter, and with bookings down 50% from the previous year, may not open at all in 1979 (Yukon News, Nov. 21).
- November 28, 1980, Charlie's restaurant has replaced the dance floor at the Klondike Inn.
- Trapper's Lounge, in the Klondike Inn, a favourite lively dance bar, with live bands back in the '80s.
- June 1, 1987, the Klondike Inn and the Sheffield have been bought by Westmark Hotels and Inns.
- October 28, 1992, Ron Tyler, Food & Beverage Manager at the Westmark Klondike Inn, starts advertising for staff for "Arizona Charlie's - the most exciting new restaurant to open in Whitehorse in years."
- in November 2011, the hotel was for sale for $5,950,000. "The land and buildings known as the Westmark Klondike Inn consist of 4 separate land parcels equaling 4.09 acres and a 3 floor building comprising a gross area of 63,390 sq/ft. The building consists of a 99 room hotel, 275 seat bar, 85 seat restaurant, 78 seat lounge, 110 seat banquet room, and 82 seat cafe."
- in January 2015, the Ramada was sold to Holloway Lodging (which owns 35 hotels) for $8.2 million, and became the Days Inn: see
Yukon News article.
- Web site: https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/whitehorse/.

Sandman Motor Inn opening, Feb. 22, 1973

Westmark Klondike Inn, 2003

Westmark Klondike Inn (closed for the season),
October 2011

Westmark Klondike Inn for sale, November 2011

Days Inn, October 2018

Days Inn, October 2018

Edgewater Hotel < White Pass Hotel < Windsor Hotel
- 101 Main Street
- the Windsor Hotel was built on the southwest corner of First Avenue and Main Street in 1900 by Cariste Racine. It was 3 stories high, with 50 rooms and a dining room and first class bar.
- 1900, liquor licence in the name of James H.Russell, formerly of the Hotel Russell in Atlin.
- October 9, 1900, James Brown, a partner in Sinclair & Brown of Atlin, died of pneumonia in his room at the hotel. He was the first person to be buried at what is now the
Pioneer Cemetery in Whitehorse.
- in January 1901, The Windsor Restaurant was owned by Irvin W. Garland.
- in January 1901, The Windsor Bar was owned by Jesse H. Rose & Co., with "Atlin Beer on Draught"
- in January 1901, the Windsor Baths is advertising: "Fine Porcelain Tubs, Elegantly Furnished Bath Rooms. Rooms for Ladies, with private entrance on alley"
- in February 1901 "Elegantly Furnished; Strictly First-Class"
- in May 1901, the day bartender was Eli Hume; replaced by Dave Sweet when he was off sick.
- on June 14, 1901, the liquor licence transferred from Jesse Rose to Eli Hume and C. F. Walker. The NWMP liquorinspection reports that "The Windsor Hotel of which the Windsor Bar is part is the most commodious and best fitted up Public House in the Town of White Horse." "...to the rear of the Bar Room itself is a large club room."
- in the summer of 1901, Fred Chapman was bartender at both the White Horse and Windsor bars.
- in October 1901, Fred G. White offered a full line of lumber, hardware and scow supplies from Room 13 at the Windsor.
- in March 1902, Duncan McNabb has closed his barber shop in the hotel, "and gone into partnership with Joe Sharp in the Windsor hotel barber shop and bath rooms".
- in May 1904, the hotel was operated by Johnston & Johnson.
- the hotel burned on May 23, 1905; the fire started in the Windsor Barber Shop, run by L. E. Marcotte.
- the White Pass Hotel was built on the site where the Windsor Hotel had been.
- in November 1905, the dining room was opened by Mrs. Ruth Kelsey, who owned the Royal Cafe in Whitehorse. Her daughter, and sister Mrs. Larsen, assisted her.
- in July 1906, the hotel was managed by P. D. McMillan. "Heated and Lighted by its own plant. Everything new. Building plastered throughout. No noise. Heat radiator in every room. Fine sample rooms for drummers. ...Thirty-five elegantly furnished bedrooms."
- September 1909, "William McKay, for the past several years employed at the White Pass hotel, left Tuesday for Cordova, Alaska, where he will assume charge of the buffet in the Hotel Burke, the largest hotel in the new city".
- November 21, 1919: "Messrs. Simpson & Gould are engaged in leveling up and putting in new foundations under a portion of the White Pass hotel. Other necessary repairs also will be made and the place put in first class shape for handling the heavy transient travel that is expected to start early in the new year." (The Weekly Star)
- in 1923, Mrs. Anna Katrina "Kathleen" Viaux acquired the hotel. She managed it until her death on February 14, 1957, at the age of 89. She was buried in what is now called the Pioneer Cemetery in Whitehorse.
- on May 19, 1960, the White Pass Hotel was sold and the name was changed to "Edgewater".
- the hotel burned on December 25, 1961.
- May 24, 1962: construction begins on a new hotel designed by John H. Hanson of Vancouver. Dawson and Hall is building it, with Glen Harris in charge.
- November 19, 1962, the new Edgewater Hotel has opened, and The Whitehorse Star published a double-page spread about it - see it here. Mr. and Mrs. Gordon will manage the property, and have moved into the manager's apartment on the second floor.
- Edgewater Hotel postcard, ca. 1977. "Located at the Corner of Main Street and First Avenue overlooking the Yukon River. Located inn the building is 'The Cellar' a truly superior Dining Room."

Ad in the Atlin Claim, September 29, 1906

White Pass Hotel, ca. 1925

White Pass Hotel, ca. 1944

Edgewater Hotel ca. 1977

Edgewater Hotel, 2003

Edgewater Hotel at -34°C, January 2015

Edgewater Hotel, October 2018

Elite Hotel < 2-0-2 Motor Inn < Shannon Hotel < Whitehorse Center Motor Inn
- 206 Jarvis Street
- named after the owners' daughter Shannon
- ad in The Milepost, 1992 edition: "Whitehorse Center Motor Inn. Proprietor: Doug Hogan. Shannon Lounge. 30 Quiet Hotel and Motel Units. Colour TV, Phone, Baths. Off-street parking. Winter plug-ins. Coin-Laundromat. Downtown Central Location. Rates - $55 Single; $65 Double; + Tax. Pets Welcome. Tracy's Restaurant."
- 1992, bought by Tippy Mah, who had previously owned a share of the Taku Hotel, than sold that to build the Town & Mountain Hotel.
- in 2002, Sam McGee's Bar and Grill was charged with breaking the city's smoking bylaw. See
Whitehorse Star article.
- 2012, the bar was the Jarvis Street Saloon
- Web site: https://elitehotel.ca/

Whitehorse Center Motor Inn, 1992

Jarvis Street Saloon, April 2012

Elite Hotel, October 2018

Foster's Lodge
- Mile 921, Alaska Highway (Porter Creek)
- August 10, 1961: "Lodge for lease, fully equipped, good location, near Whitehorse in booming subdivision on the Alaska Highway. Good water supply. Rooms, cafe, ideal place for couple - Good income. See Mr. Foster at Foster's Lodge."
- the site of Foster's Lodge is being developed as the Super A grocery store.

Foster's Lodge - July 21, 1960

Foster's Lodge - March 2, 1961

Foster's Garage, June 8, 1961

Foster's Lodge, 1963

Foster's Lodge site, 1971

Kopper King
- 9188 Alaska Highway
- They were listed as a motel for a while because there were 4 rooms and some suites behind the bar.
- an article in The Vancouver Sun of January 3, 1978, talked about the News Year's celebrations at the KK (and other bars), and the excitement about the Alaska Highway pipeline. Read it
- Kenny's Kitchen in the KK lounge had a great reputation as the best Chinese food in town around 2000-2005.

Kopper King, 1992

Kopper King and Neighbours Pub, April 2015

Kopper King, October 2018

Kopper King, October 2018

McCrae Inn
- located at Mile 910, Alaska Highway
- The Milepost, 1954: "McCrae Inn - 8 miles from Whitehorse, is being remodeled and redecorated for the 1954 season, by a new management. Services include 10 rooms with convenient baths, a cafe, a tavern, garage with general auto repairs, and gas and oil. This establishment os located 1½ miles from the side road to Miles Canyon, and 3½ miles from the road to scenic Whitehorse Rapids. (The side roads are short - only a few minutes from the highway to both attractions.) Additional services will be added at the Inn during the present season, as time permits. The owners and operators are Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton Tolman."
- The Milepost, 1957: "McCrae Inn - on right, northbound, and conveniently located for motorists planning a daytime visit to nearby Whitehorse. The Inn is now under new ownership & management, & has been considerably remodelled & improved. Facilities include 11 hotel rooms including rooms with extra beds for families, & convenient shower baths and wash rooms, a cafe in connection, beverage room, and gas & oil service with National Credit cards accepted. The owners & operators are Phil & Lil Todd."

Northern Lights Motel & RV Park < Mountain Ridge Motel & RV Park
- 91297 Alaska Highway
- Ads in The Whitehorse Star began on September 19, 1995: "Kitchenette suites now available. LOW weekly and monthly rates."
- May 16, 2008, owned by Donna Amiot, who also owns Beez Knees Bakpackers Hostel (Star).
- closed regular operations in 2016.
- June 13, 2017: "Whitehorse RCMP and the Whitehorse Fire Department are investigating a fire that burned the main building, garage and an RV at the Mountain Ridge Motel on the Alaska Highway on Monday morning [June 12th]. Another vehicle on the property, located south of Robert Service Way, suffered heat damage."
- June 21, 2018, another fire destroyed a home at the Mountain Ridge Motel.

Mountain Ridge Motel & RV Park, July 2017

Mountain Ridge Motel & RV Park, November 2018

Northern Lights Motel & RV Park, October 16, 2021

Pioneer Hotel < New Whitehorse Inn < New North Motel
- 2141 2nd Avenue.
- New North Motel postcard, 1970. "The New North Motel - a friendly stopping place in Whitehorse, Capital of the Yukon. The New North features fully modern accommodations, electrically heated with telephones, wall to wall carpeting, and winter plug-ins. Phone 667-7878 for reservations. Proprietors: Roy & Bev Reber."
- bar was Showboat Lounge, then became Foxy's Cabaret
- October 10, 1973: "A big event of the weekend was, of course, the opening of the Showboat Lounge and congratulations are in order for ROY and BEV REBER and the CANUCKS LTD. They did themselves proud in their new building, the facilities of which are outstanding. The Yukon has always been fortunate in that it could call on its own history - nothing phoney - for themes and motifs. It owns Robert Service, riverboats, the Klondike, Bonanza, Eldorado, dog teams and dancing girls. But businesses have not always taken advantage of that colour. The New North people have. There's a "Sixty Below" tavern in icy blue in the basement. Sam Magee's Cabin cocktail lounge on the main floor and the Showboat Lounge which is partly a riverboat with dancing on the "deck" and a cook-your-own-steak restaurant in the cabin. All this in addition to the main floor coffee shop and gym equipment and saunas in the basement. Vancouver visitors over the weekend were astonished at the facility..."
- May 25, 1984: New North Motel owner Hugh Williams had an arrangement with Pacific Western Airlines to pay cash for freight shipments. That led directly to a raud case in which PWA cargo agent James Lukashyk was charged with stealing over $10,000 from PWA. He was jailed for 4 months.
- April 24, 1985, Borden Developments Ltd., which runs the New North Motor Inn, has been fined $800 and ordered to pay $4,019 in restitution for holding onto employees' Yukon Health Care Insurance payments instead of passing them on to the government. The company's president, Hugh Williams, said he simply did not have the funds to make the payments.
- May 21, 1986, the New Whitehorse Inn first appears in The Whitehorse Star, as sponsor of sports teams.
- March 9, 1988, The New Whitehorse Inn is advertising the Night Court Lounge and The Bench and Gavel Restaurant.
- January 3, 1989, the New Whitehorse Inn liquor outlet was ribbed by knife-wielding Robert Peter Olson and a 16-year-old who had tagged along.
- June 30, 1989, Hugh Williams congratulates James and Candice Godesky on their purchase of the New Whitehorse Inn Ltd.
- October 17, 1990, the Pioneer Inn first appears in The Whitehorse Star, as sponsor of sports teams.
- November 14, 1991, the Pioneer Restaurant, with room for up to 200 people, is under new management and is now serving Vietnamese as well as Western food.
- 1994, the lounge is now named Foxy's II.
- April 20, 1994: "Thomas Raymond Patrick, 31, died in hospital after a large fight in front of the Pioneer Inn [on April 15]. Several people are in custody facing murder and assault charges." "Ronald Webb, 27, is charged with assaulting five people with a length of chain and possession of a weapon for purposes dangerous to the public." (Whitehorse Star)
- September 22, 1994, Satana's Nightclub in the Pioneer Inn is advertising a "Businessman's Lunch & Exotic Dancers, daily Mon-Sat". (Whitehorse Star)
- October 31, 1994, The Yukon Jack Tavern, formerly the 60 Below, had its liquor licence suspended for a week for over-serving. It was noted that they had been warned multiple times. Bar manager Clint Carpenter admitted they had been serving people who were drunk when they arrived.
- February 21, 1995, the Pioneer Inn is advertising the Riverbank Cabaret.
- August 1, 1995, The Yukon Jack Tavern will be closed for renovations until April 1, 1996, says manager Adeline MacDonald.
- October 27, 1995, the lounge is now The Brass Rail.
- April 26, 1996, The Brass Rail now has exotic dancers from 1pm - 7 pm.
- February 5, 1998, the cocktail lounge at the Pioneer Inn, The Cave, has its liquor licence suspended for violating overcrowding regulations.
- starting in the mid-1990s, police and fire calls to the Pioneer Inn became increasingly common - far too many to list here.
- January 10, 2007, for sale for $695,000: "Pioneer Inn. Motel, Restaurant, Lounge, and Off-Sales, Located in the core downtown area, on 6 city commercial lots totaling 18000 square feet with prime 2nd avenue frontage. 3 storey motel structure with 27 units plus office. Lounge complex approx 7000 sf plus 6600 sf basement, with 2 lounges, tavern, restaurant and off-sale store, Business currently operating at reduced levels with restaurant and tavern closed. Asset sale for land and buildings and equipment 'as is where is'." It sold to Tippy Mah within two weeks.
- March 27, 2007, Joe English was given 6 hours notice that he had to close his bar at the Pioneer Inn, known as Joe's Bar, the Redneck Bar or Joe's Free Pour. Tippy Mah announced the he would bulldoze the property that summer, to build condos. On march 30, there was a page and a half of articles about the Pioneer in The Whitehorse Star.
- June 8, 2007, all of the restaurant equipment is for sale.
- December 19, 2007: "Pioneer Inn, Blue Moon Saloon no more. Ill-reputed buildings to be demolished." (Whitehorse Star)
- November 27, 2008, a photo of the demolition, which started this week, was published in The Whitehorse Star.
- February 20, 2009, the modular units which comprised the bottom floor of the Pioneer Inn have now been trucked away.
- August 12, 2009, demolition of the concrete basement is continuing.
- March 1, 2012, construction of the 6-story Mah's Point condominium complex on the former site of the Pioneer Inn has begun.

New North Motel, 1970

The New Whitehorse Inn, March 9, 1988

The rear of the Pioneer Hotel in September 2007

Raven Inn
- 2nd Avenue at Keish Street
- construction of the new 57-room boutique hotel was announced on July 17, 2018 - see
Whitehorse Star article.

Under construction on October 26, 2018

Under construction on June 8, 2019

River View Hotel (Canada's Best Value Inn) < River View Hotel < Regina Hotel
- 102 Wood Street
- April 21, 1900, the building is under construction. NWMP Sgt A. Watson of the Miles Canyon Detachment reports that owner C. H. Johnston has been in White Horse for a few months, and that, as there are 3 hotels already, "at the present time a place of this kind is not needed for the public convenience, but should the population increase to the extent expected, it will doubtless be required before the summer is over." The main building is 2-storey log, 20x30 feet; the partitions when installed will form an 18x20 foot bar and 12x20 foot dining room on the main floor, with a 15x20 foot lean-to kitchen. Upstairs will be 10 rooms, 6x8 feet, with beds for 14 people. There is a stable for 4 horses.
- May 17, 1900, Licence Inspector J. D. McGregor recommends that another liquor licence is not needed in White Horse; 5 licences are held, by Smart & Dixon, Norman Macauley, British American Corp., John Barrett, and Hume & Co. (it was apparently issued anyway)
- January 1901, advertising "Free Stabling For Horses and Dogs" in the Whitehorse Star.
- 1902, operated by Charles H. Johnston and Frank J. Walter.
- 1907-1912, owned by Charles H. Johnson and Edward Algernon Dixon.
- October 21, 1926, bought by Ole (John) and Kristina Erickson. The hotel "was erected in 1900 by C. H. Johnston who has been in charge continuously up to the present. [Erickson] proposes improving the property in order to cope with the steadily increasing patronage of this popular hostelry. The artistic touch of Mrs. Erickson will work wonders in the interior arrangement of the hotel. Mr. Johnston has made no plans yet for the future. He may go outside for the winter but his permanent home will be in Yukon."
- 1938, beer licence #269 issued to J. Olaf Erickson.
- on May 24, 1951, the Yukon's first cocktail lounge opened at the Regina Hotel.
- ad in The Milepost, 1954 edition: "The Regina Hotel (AHA) - one of the pioneer hotels of the Yukon Territory, and modern in every respect, (modern plumbing). Just one block from the White Pass and Yukon Railroad depot, this hotel is convenient to everything in town. This is a quiet, family type hotel, and welcomes visitors to White horse. There is a dining room and tavern in connection, Telephone reservations are accepted, and advisable during the summer season, Olaf Erickson, proprietor."
- ad in The Milepost, 1957 edition: "The Regina Hotel, One of the Pioneer Hotels of the Yukon, Catering to travelers and families seeking clean, quiet accommodations. Very Moderate Rates. Rooms with or without bath. Wholesome meals served in our dining room at regular hours. Cocktail lounge in separate building near hotel. Mr. and Mrs. Olaf Erickson, Proprietors."
- February 23, 1970, the old Regina Hotel is torn down. The new Regina Motel has been built next door on First Avenue.
- Gudrun 'Goody' Sparling and John Erickson inherited the Regina from their parents, and ran the hotel until they sold it in 1997.
- over the winter of 1996-97, the Regina was bought by Ed Festel and Ralph Meierhans, who renamed in the River View Hotel.
- in March 1997, Christine Maeder was hired as manager. The Yukon News did a full-page article about her in their February 27, 1998 issue.

Regina Hotel, ca. 1930

Enlarged Regina Hotel, ca. 1943

Regina Hotel, 1970s

River View Hotel, 1992

River View Hotel, 2003

River View Hotel (Canada's Best Value Inn), October 2007

River View Hotel (Canada's Best Value Inn), October 2018

Roadhouse Inn < Fort Yukon Hotel < Fort Yukon Motor Inn < Normic Hotel
- 2163 2nd Avenue
- on June 16, 1968, 27-year-old Joseph Boucher died in a fire in his room at the Normic Hotel. The fire caused minor damage.
- June 11, 1970: "Norm's Ready For Election.
    Norman S. Chamberlist has sold his interest in Chamco Enterprises, which own and operate the Airport Chalet. The transaction was effective June 5, the Whitehorse East member of Territorial Council told The Star. Other partners in Chamco purchased his interest. Mr. Chamberlist recently sold the Normic Hotel in downtown Whitehorse, and has only the Yukon Surplus company on his hands at the moment.
    Councillor Chamberlist said he has sufficient income now to devote full time to territorial interests and will definitely be a candidate in the September election." (Whitehorse Star)
- January 30, 1971, two men with a pistol robbed the hotel of $96. On April 23, Richard Ketola was sentenced to 5 years and Charles Sneddon 2 years less a day.
- April 8, 1971, E.G. Latin applies for a license to sell liquor at the Fort Yukon Motor Inn.
- November 29, 1974, the 30x54-foot building that housed The Bamboo Lounge on Rogers Street, was moved to a lot beside the Fort Yukon Hotel by new owner Jeff Lattin.
- March 3, 1977, the bar has opened with the old name Bamboo Lounge & Cabaret.
- April 2004, hotel closing: see
Whitehorse Star article.
- August 2011, demolished: see Whitehorse Star article.

Normic Hotel, late 1960s.

Fort Yukon Hotel, 1992

Bamboo Lounge on new site, on November 29, 1974.

March 3, 1977.

Roadhouse Inn, August 8, 2011

Roadhouse Inn, August 10, 2011

Skky Hotel < Airline Inn
- 91622 Alaska Highway
- in 2005, Skyjacker Lounge, owned by Keith Clark, was charged with breaking the city's smoking bylaw. See
Whitehorse Star article.
- over the winter of 2007-2008, the Airline Inn was completely rebuilt to become the Skky Hotel, and the Husky gas station was removed.

Airline Inn, 1992

Rebuilding the Airline Inn in November 2007

Skky Hotel, December 2012

Skky Hotel, January 2015

Skky Hotel, October 2018

Stephen Hotel
- located at 311 Black Street, across from Whitehorse Elementary School (towards 3rd from today's old Salvation Army)
- Fred and Annie May Shabala named the hotel after their son Stephen.
- first mentioned in The Whitehorse Star on April 26, 1956.
- ad in The Milepost, 1957 edition: "Stephen Hotel. One block (left) off main route entering Whitehorse. Across from high school. 25 rooms with the best quality beds - all rooms with hot and cold water. Plenty of convenient bathrooms - tub or shower. Dining room on premises - off-the-street parking. A quiet family-type hotel with moderate rates Telephone reservations accepted. Phone 4669 - Box 571 - Whitehorse."
- November 12, 1962, Annie May Shabala died. She was buried at the Pioneer Cemetery but was later reinterred at Grey Mountain Cemetery.
- October 18, 1968, Fred Shabala died. He was buried at at Grey Mountain Cemetery.
- had a restaurant with an inner court yard in 69/70
- April 10, 1969: "A radio, guitar and typewriter were stolen from the Stephen Hotel in downtown Whitehorse over the weekend and reported by manageress Mrs. Margaret Lafaut Monday." (Star) Mrs. Lafaut and her daughters, Christina and Lyliane, lived at the hotel for a few years.
- May 22, 1969: "Stephen Hotel Sold.
    The Stephen Hotel in downtown Whitehorse has been sold.
    The 27-room two-story hotel, situated at Fourth and Black, has been purchased by John Bicudo of Whitehorse from the estate of Fred Shabala, who built the hotel about 15 years ago. Mr. Shabala died last fall.
    Sale price of the building and property plus a lot with three shacks next door was $130,000. Mr. Bicudo said he would be tearing down two of the adjacent shacks. He added that he planned no renovations or changes in the hotel for the present but may be altering it at a later date. The take-over was effective May 19. The name will remain the same for present.
    Mr. Bicudo came to Canada from the Azores in 1957 and to the Yukon in 1958. He worked for a construction company on his arrival in the territory before going to work for Taylor and Drury's for a short time. He has been employed by the Cassiar Asbestos Corp. transport division in Whitehorse for the past seven years." (Star)
- A friend of the Shabala family reports that the sale to Bicudo did not go well and it ended up back in the Shabala estate.
- The Stephen Hotel appeared frequently in newspaper crime reports for thefts and break-and-enter offenses.
- November 26, 1970: "Clean single rooms for rent by the day or week. Day rates $7.00, weekly $30. Call 7-238, The Stephen Hotel." (Star)
- March 11, 1971, for sale for $105,00 (see ad below).
- January 10, 1972: "Hosted by Yukoners, For Yukoners. Ray & Frances McKamey. Rates commensurable with the times" (see ad below).
- July 19, 1972, for sale for $110,00 (see ad below).
- destroyed by fire on June 17, 1977. Two RCMP officers on separate patrols noticed smoke coming out of the manager's office window about 3:45 a.m., and after calling in the alarm, helped about 25 people escape.
- A friend of the Shabala family reports that the owner when it burned was Dick Gleason.

The Whitehorse Star, October 4, 1956.

The Whitehorse Star, March 11, 1971

The Whitehorse Star, January 10, 1972.

The Whitehorse Star, July 19, 1972

The Whitehorse Star, June 17, 1977

Stop In Family Hotel < Family Hotel
- 314 Ray Street
- Ad in The Milepost, 2003: "A Full Service Hotel in Downtown Whitehorse. 44 New Rooms. Sauna. Restaurant. Barber Shop. Elevators. Air Conditioning. Public Laundry."
- Web site:

Stop In Family Hotel, 2003

Stop In Family Hotel, October 2018

Stop In Family Hotel, October 2018

Stratford Motel
- 401 Jarvis Street
- built by George and Edith Ryder. Named after Edith's birthplace, Stratford, Ontario, it opened in 1961.
- later owned by Bev and Roy Reber, who built the New North Motel in the late 1960s.
- Web site:

Stratford Motel matchbook, ca. 1970s

Stratford Motel, October 2018

Stratford Motel, October 2018

Town & Mountain Hotel (the T&M)
- 401 Main Street
- built by Tippy Mah in 1976, who sold his share of the Taku Hotel to finance it.
- 1985, sold by Tippy Mah.
- Flemings own it now (2018)

Matchbook from the T&M Hotel, ca. 1980

Town & Mountain Hotel, February 2017

Town & Mountain Hotel, October 2018

Trails North Motel & Truck Stop
- 92166 Alaska Highway

Trails North Motel & Truck Stop, October 2018

Trails North Motel & Truck Stop, October 2018

Westmark Whitehorse < Sheffield House Hotel < Travelodge Hotel
- 201 Wood Street
- August 17, 1967: "City Council was told that financing for construction of the already started Travelodge Motel on Second Avenue is still being arranged and the owners hope to resolve their difficulties by the end of the month. The city had enquired regarding the plans because the excavation has been open for some months."
- on March 11, 1968, Yukon Commissioner James Smith and hotel owner Bill Sheffield of Alaska cut the ribbon to open the new Travelodge Hotel in Whitehorse.
- Travelodge was a.k.a the Sleepy Bear because of their mascot
- in February 1976, the 100-room Travelodge joined with 7 Alaska hotels to form the Sheffield House chain with a central reservation system.
- July 7, 1982: "Princess Anne arrived at Whitehorse International Airport Monday night [July 5th] in the Canadian Armed Forces jet. She and the eight other members of the royal party are occupying all 24 rooms on the third floor of the Sheffield House Hotel, which was redecorated for her visit." The Montreal Gazette reported that the third floor had "15 private rooms and two plush suites".
- in March 2017, it was announced that after 47 years, the Frantic Follies vaudeville show, which had been performed at the Westmark Whitehorse, was closing. It was initially performed at the Whitehorse Inn.

Westmark Whitehorse, 2003

Westmark Whitehorse, July 2013

Westmark Whitehorse, October 2018

Whitehorse Auto Court < Whitehorse Auto Camp
- ad in The Milepost, 1952 edition: "The Whitehorse Auto Camp, located 1.5 miles from the Alaska Highway on the side-road to Whitehorse, and convenient to the city center. This establishment offers the traveler a choice of deluxe apartments, private housekeeping cabins constructed of handsome rustic log siding, and equipped with private baths and oil heat, or good trailer accommodations. A well-stocked self-service grocery store and a gas station are also operated here by the same management, and beer is sold. The manager of this very complete motorists service is Mr. Jim Smith."
- ad in The Milepost, 1954 edition: "The Whitehorse Auto Court (AHA) - located about 1 mile from the Alaska Highway on the approach road to Whitehorse, is convenient to the city center. This establishment offers the traveler a choice of deluxe apartments, private housekeeking cabins constructed of handsome log-siding and equipped with private baths and oil heat, or trailer accommodations. A well stocked grocery and market, a gas station, and a modern cocktail lounge are operated in connection by the same management, and the Austin car sales and service agency is also located here. The manager of this most complete service for motorists is Mr. Jim Smith."
- ad in The Milepost, 1957 edition: "The Whitehorse Auto Court - located about 1 mile from the Alaska Highway on the approach road to Whitehorse, is convenient to the city center. This establishment offers the traveler a choice of deluxe apartments, private housekeeping cabins constructed of rustic log-siding and equipped with private baths & oil heat, or trailer accommodations. A well stocked grocery & market, gas station, cafe & modern cocktail lounge are operated in connection by the same management. The manager of this complete service for motorists is Mr. Jim Smith."

Whitehorse Inn
- construction started July 1927 by King Yoshida; opened May 25, 1928. It had 49 rooms, 14 with bath and toilets; the other 35 rooms had access to 2 public toilets and baths on the upper floor.
- Yoshida lost it to Thomas Cecil "T.C." Richards for a $20,000 gambling loss in the hotel's notorious Snake Room (the loss was just down payment). The Yoshidas went back to Japan.
- April 30, 1937: "Announcement of the sale of the Whitehorse Inn and City Cafe was made this week by Messrs. Ken and Mack Yoshida, the former owners. T. C. Richards, prominent businessman of Whitehorse, is the purchaser. Messrs. Yoshida, who have spent the past 17 years in business in Whitehorse, will leave on May 5th enroute to their native land, Japan, and will make their future residence in Tokyo, where they plan on going into business together. Mr. Edward Beard, former member of the Whitehorse detachment, R.C.M.P., will be manager of The Inn, which will change ownership officially tomorrow, May 1st." (Whitehorse Star)
- in 1939, 6 shower rooms were added, and the dining room was removed.
- T.C. Richards managed the hotel until his death in 1961.
- all hotels boomed during the war, but the Whitehorse Inn was the one that enlarged the most.
- February 1, 1946: "Alterations to the interior of the Whitehorse Inn have been recently carried out which adds to the attractiveness of the lounge and affords greater convenience for the guests. This has been effected by removing a portion of the partition between the lounge and the office immediately adjoining same, the removal of the desk and counter previously located in the lounge and having a new one fitted into the partition. By this means the lounge is made more spacious. At the same time greater convenience is afforded guests transacting business at the office. A fluorescent light affixed immediately over the desk completes the picture." (Whitehorse Star)
- ad in The Milepost, 1954 edition: "The Whitehorse Inn (AHA), in the heart of town, is one of the best known landmarks and stopping places in the Yukon. A new and modern annex has been added to the original buildings, which also houses a large cafe. A ballroom with a capacity of 200 persons is available for special parties and events. Rooms with either tub bath or shower are available, and a taxi service catering to tourists has headquarters in the lobby and lounge rooms. Information is supplied on local sightseeing trips. The operator, T. C. Richards, is a widely known pioneer of the Yukon Territory. Visit the Rainbow Room - cocktail lounge operated in connection."
- ad in The Milepost, 1957 edition: "The Whitehorse Inn, in the heart of town, is one of the best known landmarks and hostelries in the Yukon Territory. A new and modern annex has been added to the original building, and the large cafe, which has both counter and booth service, has also been modernized in every respect. Rooms with double or twin beds, and choice of tub or shower bath are available. A large ball-room, with a capacity of 200 persons, is maintained for special parties and events. A taxi service is located in the hotel building, and supplies information on local sightseeing tours. T. C. Richards, the operator, is a widely known Yukon pioneer. The Rainbow Room, a large and attractive cocktail bar, is located in The Whitehorse Inn, and is operated by the hotel management. Meet your friends here for pleasant relaxation. All your favorite beverages, expertly mixed."
- in Lou Jacobin's 1958 "Guide to Alaska and the Yukon", the Whitehorse Inn was the only Whitehorse listing: "The leading hotel of Whitehorse and the Yukon. This well-known 3-story hostelry has many modernly furnished rooms with bath and beds as comfortable as any found in the states; large lobby displaying trophies of the north; excellent dining room, coffee shop and fountain; tavern; bakery; taxi service and other conveniences; finest ballroom in the North; tourist information bureau. President and manager is T. C. Richards, pioneer and outstanding personality of Whitehorse."
- starting in 1968, a vaudeville show called the Frantic Follies packed the Whitehorse Inn ballroom - the show was performed at various venues for 47 years until closing in March 2017.
- from February 25 until March 4, 1970, hotel owner Ed Keenan was advertising in the Edmonton Journal to lease the Whitehorse Inn Cafe, which had a 100-seat dining room and 40-seat cafe. See the ad
- in the early 1970s, Chris and Mary Howe were running the tavern, and Bruce Bingham was one of the bartenders.
- an article in The Vancouver Sun of January 3, 1978, talking about the News Year's celebrations around Whitehorse, and the excitement about the Alaska Highway pipeline, said that the Whitehorse Inn "had all the ambience of an opium den." Read it here.
- in June 1978, the hotel was sold to the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, and it was demolished that winter.
- an article in The Vancouver Sun of October 10, 1978, described the hotel's history and current status - you can read it here.

Whitehorse Inn, ca. 1930

Whitehorse Inn luggage label, ca. 1940

Main Street and the Whitehorse Inn, 1943

Whitehorse Inn, ca. 1950

Whitehorse Inn Cafe, Aug. 17, 1952

Whitehorse Inn, ca. 1960

Whitehorse Inn sign, July 2013

The Yukon Hotel
- being built in 1969, though it's location has not yet been determined. See an article about it

Matchbook from the Yukon Hotel, 1969

Yukon Inn < Tourist Services Motel
- 4220 4th Avenue
- Tourist Services Motel and Tourist Services Grocery Store were where the Dollar Store is now. In a separate building in the middle of the parking lot was Tourist Services Tavern, Cafe and Lounge.
- March 14, 1947, Tourist Services Limited is incorporated, with a wide range of possible operations, from transportation and gas sales to mining and building and operating "auto camps and hotels."
- November 30, 1951: "City Turns Down 2nd Plea for Cleanup Pay. A bill for $87 from Tourists Services Ltd. for expenses incurred in cleaning up their property during the clean-up campaign, was turned down by the city. Evidently, Tourist Services asked the City Engineer to remove rubbish off their property during the Clean-up campaign. The City trucks managed to remove two loads but never returned for the balance. Mr. Smith, Manager of Tourists Services claims he was forced to hire a truck to remove the rubbish and the bill was $87. Aldermen thought the trucker charged too much and also that the City was not responsible for cleaning up private property. (Whitehorse Star)
- April 21, 1952: Dick White from the Capital Hotel and Mr. Madsen from the '98 Hotel asked to City Council to write to the Commissioner regarding the issuing of a license for a cocktail lounge at Tourist Services auto court. The current regulations call for a hotel with at least 15 rooms as being necessary for such a license.
- July 11, 1952: Tourists Services opens an ultra-modern cocktail bar on July 9th. Tourists Services Ltd. have quickly expanded their business ventures in Whitehorse the last couple of years, providing the only tourist camp and trailer facilities in the city. The company has continually tried to cater to the general public, offering services in all branches of their operation. Cal Miller is Manager of the cocktail bar.
- October 14, 1969: The new Tourists Services Motor Hotel will officially open on October 15. Read the full-page article
- June 1, 1973: "The Yukon Inn will be the new name of Tourist Services as of today with the opening of the new facility!" The Captain's Table Dining Room, Quarter Deck Lounge, and Boiler Room Tavern also opened then. (Whitehorse Star)
- on June 7, 1974, the Yukon Inn became the first hotel in the territory to sign an agreement with a union.
- May 22, 1996, first news that a consortium of 6 Yukon first nations have purchased the Yukon Inn for about $4 million. On June 4, a full-page article gives details- involved in the venture are Champagne-Aishihik, Kluane, the Teslin Tlingit Council, the Carmacks-Little Salmon First Nation, the Selkirk First Nation and the Tr'on dek Hwech'in First Nation.

Tourist Services Auto Court, February 27, 1952

Tourist Services Motor Hotel, June 29, 1970

Tourist Services dining room, October 8, 1970

Yukon Inn, June 20, 1973

Yukon Inn, October 2018

Yukon Inn, October 2018