The widow of a former Yukon commissioner died October 25 following a lengthy illness. She was Lena MacPherson Gibson, who left Whitehorse in 1956 to live in a nursing home in Vancouver. Mrs. Gibson was predeceased by her husband, the late Magistrate A. H. Gibson in January 1957.
Born January 27, 1884 in Orillia, Ontario, the late Mrs. Gibson first came to the north with her husband in 1946 when they moved to Fort Macpherson, NWT. The couple came to Dawson City in 1951 when Mr. Gibson was Commissioner of the Yukon. The
following year he was appointed police magistrate and the Gibsons moved to Whitehorse.
During the years they lived in Whitehorse, Mrs. Gibson was an active member of the IODE.
Funeral services for the late Mrs. Gibson were held October 29 at the Chapel of Chimes in Vancouver. Following cremation, her ashes were forwarded to Whitehorse for burial.
Mrs. Gibson is survived by two sons, Murray in Calgary and John in Vancouver; two sisters, Mrs. C. R. Marlatt of Victoria and Mrs. W. Eastman of Florida, and three grandchildren.