ExploreNorth, your resource center for exploring the circumpolar North

Return to the Home Page The ExploreNorth Blog About ExploreNorth Contact ExploreNorth

Search ExploreNorth

Andy Lund (1877-1917)

Highlights of History from The Whitehorse Star

The Whitehorse Pioneer Cemetery

The Weekly Star - Friday, March 2, 1917

A Gruesome Find Made Saturday in a Lonely Cabin at Fish Lake

    Saturday morning Capt. Jimmy Jackson, of the river steamer Kluane who all winter has lived with his family at Fish lake, 12 miles southwest of Whitehorse, discovered the body of his only neighbor, Andy Lund, a Finn 40 years of age, who had made his home since last fall in a cabin about a mile distant on the lake shore, lying in his bunk cold in death. He hurried to town and notified Capt. A. L. Bell, coroner, of his gruesome find and measures were immediately taken to bring the remains into town, where an inquest was held on Monday, the verdict of the jury being that "Deceased came to his death in his cabin on Fish lake on or about the 24th of February, 1917, from heart disease; and further, that in the opinion of this jury, a lack of proper nourishment and the mode of living followed by the deceased were contributing factors to his death.

    Lund had made his home in and around Whitehorse for the past several years and last fall went out to Fish lake to engage in fishing and trapping. He did not have much success in his venture, however, and for a month previous to his death had practically been subsisting on the charity of Capt. Jackson and family. Saturday morning Mrs. Jackson noticed the unusual occurrence of an absence of smoke coming from the neigboring cabin and thinking that probably Lund was suffering from lagrippe, with which disease her own family was sorely afflicted, and that he might be unable to help himself, she urged her husband to go ever and investigate, which he willingly consented to do not only on account of his anxiety about Lund's condition, but for the further reason that he had a fish net set in the lake just in front of the place, which he wished to visit.

    On reaching Lund's cabin he knocked on the door, and getting no answer, pushed it open and walked in. Seeing the deceased lying in the bunk he spoke to him, and there being no response, walked up to the place in which the body was lying and found the man was dead.

    After the inquest Undertaker J. D. Durie took charge of the remains and laid them-to rest in the Whitehorse cemetery.