ExploreNorth, your resource center for exploring the circumpolar North

Return to the Home Page The ExploreNorth Blog About ExploreNorth Contact ExploreNorth

Search ExploreNorth



Henry Meyers (1887-1910)



Highlights of History from The Whitehorse Star

The Whitehorse Pioneer Cemetery



July 15, 1910: "Case of Typhoid
    Henry Meyers, brother of Mrs. L. B. Davis, developed what is pronounced a case of typhoid fever the early part of this week. His sickness is believed to have been brought about by using water from a well at the Davis home. He is now at the hospital."

July 15, 1910: "Addition To Hospital
    At the recent session of the Yukon council an appropriation of $1000 was made for the purpose of building an addition to the General hospital of this place, the annex to be 18 by 24 and to used as an office and labratory. The hospital board has given a contract for the work to Eli Hume and he would have already been started on the structure were it not for the typhoid patient, Henry Meyers, in the hospital. As soon as the latter is able, Mr. Hume will begin work."

July 22, 1910: "There is but little change in the condition of Henry Meyers, the typhoid patient at the hospital."




The Weekly Star - Friday, August 5, 1910


Headline: His Life Ended. Henry Meyers Succumbs to Ravages of Typhoid Fever, 1910

    Henry Myers of whom mention was made two weeks ago as having been stricken with typhoid fever, quietly passed away at the General hospital Saturday night, July 30, at 11:30 o'clock.

    The expression "Death loves a shining mark" was never more clearly verified than in the taking away of Henry Myers. But twenty three years and three months old, hearty, rugged and carefree, he was stricken in the very blossom of that which gave glowing promise of a noble manhood, he being apparently perfect in both form and constitution.

    Two years ago the deceased left his home, Berlin, Germany, after serving three years in the German navy, and came to Whitehorse at the request of his sister, Mrs. L. B. Davis whose husband owns and operates the only steam laundry of this place. He has since made his home with the Davis family until taken to the hospital two weeks before his death.

    The funeral took place Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from Christ church, Episcopal, and was one of the most largely attended in the history of the town. The services were conducted by the rector, Rev. W. G. Blackwell assisted by Rev. A. Ross of the Presbyterian church. The floral tributes were many and beautiful. The pallbearers were Matthew Watson, John Rosenberg, Gordon Spragge, Alfred Cronin, John Cole and Archie Smith. Interment was in the local cemetery.

    Besides a sister at this place, the deceased, who was the youngest of a large family, leaves an aged mother and several sisters and brothers in Germany and one sister some place in the States.

    Mrs. Davis feels the death of her "baby brother" very keenly and to her and the other members of the Davis family is extended the sincere sympathy of their many friends.