Mrs. W. L. Phelps died at her home 1404 Nelson Street in Vancouver on Thursday evening about seven o'clock, following a long illness. A longtime Yukon friend, Mrs. George Rose, was with her at the end.
A member of one of the most prominent families in the Yukon for many years, Hanna Phelps was the widow of W. L. Phelps of Whitehorse, a lawyer here in the earliest days of the community and original partner in the Yukon Electrical Company with Fred Gray.
Coming to Whitehorse as a young teacher in 1907, Hanna Livingstone met the young lawyer and two years later, on January 6, they were married at her home in Harriston, Ontario. Their first home was the electric light company's cottage on Main Street, opposite the Whitehorse Star, and it remained the Phelps house for fifty years. Murdoch's Gem Shop now stands in front of the building, which is still home for Mrs. Phelps' grandson and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Mike Scott.
Mrs. Phelps was a charter member of the Whitehorse Chapter of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire, and their first regent here in 1914-15. Long a member and supporter of the Anglican Church, she was a generous donor to many worthy causes in the community and prior to leaving the Yukon, presented $1,000 toward the
grand piano now used for concerts here. An honorary member of the Whitehorse Drama Club, she was a member of the Whitehorse Concert Association.
Following her husband's death in 1951, Mrs. Phelps made her home in Vancouver, returning frequently for summer visits here at the family cottage at Carcross. She was in her 86th year.
She is survived by one son, John, in Vancouver, and one daughter, Dorothy, Mrs. John Scott of Whitehorse, three grandsons, Willard Phelps, Michael and William Scott. Mr. and Mrs. John Scott are at present on a holiday cruise and were expected to dock at Hong Kong this weekend. John Phelps has recently been ill but is out of hospital and resting at his home.
Funeral services were conducted in Vancouver today by the Rev. J. W. Ellis, former rector of the Old Log Church at Whitehorse. Freemason rites were observed.