ExploreNorth, your resource center for exploring the circumpolar North

Return to the Home Page The ExploreNorth Blog About ExploreNorth Contact ExploreNorth

Search ExploreNorth

Charles Suchy (1845-1912)

Highlights of History from The Whitehorse Star

The Whitehorse Pioneer Cemetery

The White Horse Star - January 9, 1901: "While working last week on the new wagon road which is being built to the Grafter group of mines Charles Suchy had one of his feet badly frozen. He is now being taken care of at the bunk house of Mr. Frank Young on Steele street."

The Semi-Weekly Star - Saturday, July 19, 1902


    Business is looking up in the police court and this week has witnessed the disposal of several cases of minor importance by Judge Taylor.

    An Indian woman named Jennie Kaskil was placed under arrest for being found with liquor in her possession. For this offense she was released under suspended sentence but was rearrested later for breaking into the house of Chas. Suchy and stealing another invoice of wet goods, for which offense she now languishes in the guard room awaiting sentence.

    Peter Miller was arrested for being found in Jenny Kaskil's house with liquor in his possession. In his case sentence was also suspended and he was allowed his freedom, his joy thereat being so great that he at once proceeded to cultivate a good sized jag and was later arrested for being drunk and disorderly and fined $5 and costs.

The Daily Evening Star - Tuesday, October 10, 1905

Headline: Robbery at North End, 1905

    What appears to have been a carefully planned robbery was committed in that portion of town known as the "North End" this morning at about 2:30 o'clock, when the home of Chas. Suchy, a heavy property owner in that neighborhood, was entered and robbed of a box containing $100 in cash.

    At 2:30 o'clock an unoccupied tent in the rear of the house of Violet DeVere, who is now at Atlin, was discovered by a woman employed as cook to be on fire. She at once pave the alarm, and Suchy, who resides nearby, responded. Suchy had been in bed and hurried to the fire without taking time to put on his shoes. He was absect from his house probably ten minutes, and on his return a box which contained $100 and which he always kept on a shelf just above his desk had disappeared.

    About the time Suchy got the fire under control a strange man joined him and offered to assist in the work, and Suchy is of the opinion that the stranger is the person who made way with his money, first having set tire to the tent, knowing that an alarm would be given and Suchy would be called away from his house.

    The police are at work on the case, but so far as known there is no clue to the identity of the arsenist and robber.

The Weekly Star - Friday, November 15, 1912

Headline: Chas. Suchy Dead. Pioneer Resident Pases Away Suddenly Wednesday, 1912

    Charles Suchy died suddenly at his home in this place Wednesday evening a few minutes before 5 o'clock. He had been out and around all day and had just carried an armful of wood into his house and was engaged in conversation with his wife when he dropped to the floor and, it is believed, died instantly. Mrs. Suchy immediately called the neighbors and Dr. Clarke was hastily summoned, but nothing could be done, the grim reaper having claimed his own.

    Charles Suchy was born in Germany sixty-seven years ago. Coming to America while yet a young man, he served several years in the U. 5. navy. He lived for several years in Kansas City. He came to Whitehorse twelve years ago this month and has since made it his home, being joined here two years ago by his wife and little grand-daughter. During his residence here he was busy at odd jobs and made considerable money, leaving valuable property in Seattle, Victoria and farm land in Nebraska. He is survived by his wife and six children, four daughters and two sons. The daughters are all married, one residing in Michigan, one in Indiana, one in Nebraskaand the other, Mrs. Feddeson, mother of little Irma who has made her home here with her grandparents, residing at Ketchikan, Alaska. Of the two sons, one is in the United States navy. The children have all been notified of their fathers's death.

    The funeral will be held at 2 this afternoon from the residence, Rev. W. Father Rivet conducting the service. Interment will be, temporarily, in the local cemetery, but Mrs. Suchy says she wil take the body with her to the outside, Nebraska, later.