Yellowknife Bear Mines Limited was incorporated in Ontario in 1948. In 1981 the name was changed to Yellowknife Bear Resources Incorporated. On February 1, 1986, the company merged with Rayrock Resources to become Rayrock Yellowknife Resources Incorporated. On November 27, 1998, the name changed back to Rayrock Resources Inc., and on March 8, 1999, that company amalgamated with Glamis Gold, which in 2003 had gold mines and projects in Arizona, Nevada, Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras. In November 2006, Glamis was bought by Goldcorp for $8.6 billion USD.
Yellowknife Bear Mines was one of many gold mines that opened in the Great Bear
Lake region of the Northwest Territories in the 1930s and '40s.
The company soon broadened its
horizons greatly, with projects as varied as gold properties around the world and development
of seniors' facilities in Florida.
The stock certificate shown above was issued on January 15, 1965, and cancelled
on December 5, 1967.
Charlie Hershman, Chief Engineer at Yellowknife Bear Mines in the early days,
has been honoured by the naming of Hershman Road in Yellowknife.
To the Northern Mines Index